PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Milton Named 1st Team Texas Hoops All-State in 5A

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Milton Named 1st Team Texas Hoops All-State in 5A

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:15 pm

Milton is the only remaining unsigned senior on the list and is in some pretty good company with some national Top 100 Players and other committed players to top programs among the 10 players selected to the First Team.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 04-09-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Milton Named 1st Team Texas Hoops All-State in 5A

Postby Otto » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:00 pm

Who's Milton? What position does he play, how big, etc.
Do we have a shot at him? Are we even in the running?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby d_pony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:30 pm

we have a shot
d_pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:33 pm

6-6 Swingman Michael Milton from Plano is the only name that I know of which has surfaced concerning offers made for the upcoming Spring Signing Date one week from today. Averaged about 21 ppg. At various times he's been reportedly offered by SMU, A&M and Colorado St although some have reported that not all those offers are still on the table. I heard unverified reports that schools like Fresno, UNLV and both William and Mary have been involved.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:23 pm

I always like it when both William and Mary are involved. I couldn't resist teasing you. W&M is my other alma mater, and I'm very familiar with it.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:10 pm

The last I heard, the football and basketball teams played much more like Mary. Sorry for the old line but OldPony couldn't resist.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:14 pm

Actually, since they dropped to 1-AA they have been pretty good in football. But in basketball they've been playing like Mary consistently for years.
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:38 pm

An excellant school though. I bet there aren't any arguments as to whether to accept mentally deficient JUCOs either!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:28 am

Its kind of an anomoly of a school. It is a state school with a private school sized student body. But it does have an education department (which of course has a PE major). They actually get quite a few transfers because it is extremely competitive to get admitted in your freshman year, and quite a few freshman flunk out or transfer out because it is a very rigorous school.
EastStang

Postby mustanger » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:49 pm

Nowadays, the better programs are recruiting
juniors at this time. Makes you wonder why a top recruit would still be available as a
senior. Grades? Or possibly someone who won't make impact right away but will develop.
mustanger

Postby Nacho Cheese » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:19 pm

Nah, his grades are fine. He's a late bloomer, thats all. Wasnt considered a top recruit. Not really sure you could call him a TOP recruit, even now. Had a strong senior year, though. He falls more into the category of Good recruit. He's kind of a Brian Miller, Chad Elsey type.
Nacho Cheese

Postby bhop » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:22 am

It always makes me nervous to hear recruits compared to Chad Elsey. A lot of people thought Elsey was just great, but what I remember is a one dimensional player whose only real talent was the three (and he was streaky with those). Elsey was incapable of creating his own shot, had no moves to the hoop, and couldn't defend anyone. Our team became better when he transferred.

I'm frankly not sure what to make of Brian Miller. He missed most of his threes this season, but I noticed they always seemed to clang off the front of the rim, indicating that he didn't have his legs under him. It wasn't until the end of the season that he began to miss threes long. I know he suffered a serious back injury last season. If he can get his legs back, he seems to have more going for him than Elsey did. At least he appears capable of playing D.

So, that being said, is Milton the same type of player as Elsey and/or Miller? Does he have more offensive moves, etc? Thanks.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby mustanger » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:50 pm

Where did Elsey transfer to?
mustanger

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:58 am

Elsey finished at Baylor. he was part of the Sasser-Davis-Elsey trio that had everyone so excited years ago. They were among the top Dallas area recruits that year. Elsey turned out to be a pretty one dimensional player who was not quick enough to create his own shot and once Quinton Ross signed, he could see his playing time would diminish.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball