PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The TRUTH behind

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The TRUTH behind

Postby mustanger » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:32 pm

Craft departure.
If you make someone's life miserable enough,
you can make him sorry he ever picked up a basketball.Easy to do if victim is 18 and
tormentor is Saddam Dement.
Explains why we were actively recruiting with no scholarship.
Suspect this is not the first time these tactics were used.
mustanger

Re: The TRUTH behind

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:14 am

I don't know about that. From what I hear, he was just unhappy. SMU has that effect on a lot of people.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustanger » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:01 pm

As a current student, I can tell you that is way off base. Loves the school, loves the parties and LOVES the women!
mustanger

Postby MustangKurt20 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:59 pm

The only thing that erks me about SMU are the very small percentage of extremely wealthy snobs who down on everyone they see. That being said they are a very small percentage of SMU students who are , for the most part, very generous and kind. I love SMU. Beautiful campus, wonderful people, excellent professors, etc. So many reasons to like SMU.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby Buddha » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:33 pm

Pretty strong accusation.
Buddha
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:24 am

Coaches having been running off guys who can't contribute since the beginning of scholarship athletics. Hayden was notorious for it. Dement has actually had a pretty good record in this department. Ihde was a good example of honoring a schollie which didn't work out. Elsey left. Elsey was a big ego who couldn't accept that he wasn't a star. He found the same kind of PT at Baylor. I don't know Craft or why he decided to quit. Many guys who can afford school anyway decide they are missing more than they are getting especially when students don't care enough to attend games.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:43 am

I just know he was unhappy with Dement. Him and Jr. were good friends, obviously. I know he LOVED the women...gosh who doesn't like SMU women? I miss them so...

Look for one of my favorite women on the sideline next fall...Chantel (younger sister of the captian, Kristen) made the cheerleading squad for next year! LoL..sorry I love that girl and I can't see her now! Image *sigh* Someone will have to send me some pictures...I'm sure no one will have a problem taking pics of the ladies, correct? Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Eddie P » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:10 pm

Mustanger-

I guess the big question is: Did he love the game?? Did he love basketball as much as he loved "the school, the parties and the women." There are expectations attached to a full "athletic" scholarship. Partying and women are not parts of the equation. Since I don't know about the situation, was this perhaps at the root of the problem? You seem to be in the know.

Postby The CPC » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:16 pm

CPC would be proud to undertake this mission for you UNF. Never let it be said that CPC let down one of his loyal fans.

As for Kraft, he wasnt the first and wont be the last player to get run off. Its one of the ugly elements of this game, but there's really nothing to keep it from happening. In the long run, this is best for him. He'll be happier somewhere else, and there isnt much point in staying somewhere that you arent wanted. Hopefully the coaches will make better decisions on who they recruit, instead of tying up a scholarship with a player they arent sure if they even want.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby mustanger » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:29 pm

UNF -
Jr and Craft friends - how ironic.

CPC -
The worst part of running a player off isn't
tying up the scholarship. It is what the player
puts up with during the season, then having to sit out a year plus lose a year of eligibility.
Surely, this wasn't expected when he signed
on the dotted line.
mustanger

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:44 pm

Common occurrence in college (scholarship) athletics.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball