PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 3: SMU vs. Yale THREAD

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 3: SMU vs. Yale THREAD

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 am

I think it's a one shot technical but not sure. I'm sure Jank was aware of it and then hobbie got on the ref.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:57 am

Good time to have a week off for Nic to heal up. Need him (and everyone else) 100% for Michigan for sure.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 am

Tolbert alley oop vid on espn landing bball page.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/
ojaipony

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:07 am

A few things:

Keith is one of those players who needs his bio re-written. He's a mechanically broken shooter, not a sniper. he has the potential to be a volume scorer, but he's not a reliable deep threat. Broken release, extraneous kick. All that said, he's valuable b/c he thinks he's great, so no one gets more pissed when Yale takes a big lead. Keith, for being the definition of a 10 cent head, has real tangible leadership instincts. Keith is no long a miserable defender. In fact, his real asset is his length, when not falling asleep. Honestly, Nic Moore is a worse defender and nobody kills him, possibly b/c they think it's a physical limitation, not sure.

Shake had a rough stretch last night, which is going to happen. Great player but young with a lot expected of him. W/o GU, we our depth is really young. We'll struggle more than I'd like, just as folks get their sea legs. Jarrey is unflappable, so far. I'm not sure I've ever been so surprised by a unheralded signing, this early.

This was a real trap game for us and we won. Thats all you can do.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 am

I got to Moody early. My son and I were in our seats by 2:45, so we watched both teams warm up and shoot. I was watching Keith in particular and I almost wondered if he had an injury. Every shot he took seemed to bang off the front iron; his jumpers looked bad. Also, he was moving lethargically and looked almost like he was grimacing when he shot.

Fast forward to the game, Keith looked very different. He played with a ton of energy, his D was strong, and his dribble penetration looked solid. His jumper (to reiterate hoopmanx's comment) is a mess. I'd like to see that improve, but I'm thinking it's more likely he will remain the second coming of Jeryl Sasser from a shooting mechanics perspective.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Frazier has shown improved dribble penetration all season-kind of agree with Hoopmanx-his bio is different than when he got here

Another point-that I have to credit my neighbor at Moody-don't you love Keith's "Hot Potatoe" Free Throw Style-he shoots free throws a mili-second after receiving ball from ref-I guess its less time to think about it and mess things up. Very instinctual shooter. It works at Free Thrown line where he shoots high percentage-its abandoned him from 3 point line. He passes up most 3 point shots this year by taking one step inside the line and scoring a 2 point basket
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 pm

His three point shot is more mechanically correct than his regular jumper. I think he actually would have a better percentage if he starting taking the longer ones. He seems to really be passing those up so far this year. His drives to the basket are crazy - but really fun to watch. Usually something good happens, but you never know what it will be.

Somehow his nutty games blends in well with our otherwise pretty by the book LB offense. When he is on the floor it seems to open up other people for scoring, particularly our bigs.
gostangs

Postby White Helmet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Sure wish we had signed McQuaid. Watching him get his own shot for Michigan State makes me sick.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Yeah, Keith's free throws are funny. Credit where it is due. . .Keith hit 2 big free throws down the stretch whereas Tolbert and Nic both missed.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm

hoopmanx wrote:A few things:

Keith is one of those players who needs his bio re-written. He's a mechanically broken shooter, not a sniper. he has the potential to be a volume scorer, but he's not a reliable deep threat. Broken release, extraneous kick. All that said, he's valuable b/c he thinks he's great, so no one gets more [deleted] when Yale takes a big lead. Keith, for being the definition of a 10 cent head, has real tangible leadership instincts. Keith is no long a miserable defender. In fact, his real asset is his length, when not falling asleep. Honestly, Nic Moore is a worse defender and nobody kills him, possibly b/c they think it's a physical limitation, not sure.

Shake had a rough stretch last night, which is going to happen. Great player but young with a lot expected of him. W/o GU, we our depth is really young. We'll struggle more than I'd like, just as folks get their sea legs. Jarrey is unflappable, so far. I'm not sure I've ever been so surprised by a unheralded signing, this early.

This was a real trap game for us and we won. Thats all you can do.

Agree with most of this especially on Keith. I think a lot of us expected more because he was a McDonald all American. My guess is he became an all american in high school because he has the physical tools (length and athleticism) and put up good numbers in high school (where I'm sure he was featured). Honestly becoming a good piece of a top 25 level team is all you can expect/ask of any recruit.

Foster IMO has all the potential to be the best player in the class, which is impressive given that Shake is legit. He would have been much of a more herald recruit if not for his knee injury and early commitment to Rice.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:35 pm

in last 2 seasons Keith is up to an outstanding 83% Free Throw shooter which necessitates even more drives to the basket so he can get to the Free Throw line again.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:37 pm

That, plus his drives are generally high percentage results, as opposed to his standard jump shot. His freaky athleticism is impossible to guard inside, and he is a pretty generous passer to a big under there also which has about a 100% chance of a bucket with our crew.
gostangs

Previous

Return to Basketball