PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Yale

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Yale

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 am

alyssa wrote:"Pistol wavin' New Haven".

Heh heh.

Toad's Place rocks.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:12 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
alyssa wrote:"Pistol wavin' New Haven".

Heh heh.

Toad's Place rocks.

Totally agree!
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:34 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Downtown New Haven isn't that bad, but it's no Park cities either. The school bought a lot of property quite a few years ago, I think to expand undergrad dorms/enrollment.

The team is pretty good and shoots a lot of threes as others have mentioned. Had a strong RPI most of last year and probably about as good as Stanford.

Another SMU student in grad school?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 am

Digetydog wrote:
SMUstang07 wrote:Downtown New Haven isn't that bad, but it's no Park cities either. The school bought a lot of property quite a few years ago, I think to expand undergrad dorms/enrollment.

The team is pretty good and shoots a lot of threes as others have mentioned. Had a strong RPI most of last year and probably about as good as Stanford.

Formerly in grad school there yea. Need to update my location now. The Have gets a bad rap but i enjoyed the city while there. Problem is there aren't many good employers in the city except the school and based on the recent student movements Im not sure I'd want to work there.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:01 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

Formerly in grad school there yea. Need to update my location now. The Have gets a bad rap but i enjoyed the city while there. Problem is there aren't many good employers in the city except the school and based on the recent student movements Im not sure I'd want to work there.

I loved my time as a Yalie.

Even though I was the only Mexican-American in my program, I certainly didn't feel traumatized. Indeed, if I was still a student, I am pretty sure that I would have dressed up like Frito Bandito, walked around the the main campus, and dared anyone to say anything.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:10 pm

SMU 86 wrote:Anyone have a scouting report on them?

Yale finished last season in a tie for the Ivy league regular season title, but Harvard got the leagues auto bid to the NCAA tournament. In OOC play they had a win over AAC member UConn, but it should be noted that UConn was missing a couple of injured players at the time.
Yale is off to a 3-0 start this year, beating Fairfield, Sacred Heart, and Lehigh. The Bulldogs are a senior dominated team, led by returning Ivy League POY Justin Sears. Sears is a 6'8" forward who can score inside and outside, and does a bit of everything else. In their last game he had 16 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and 8 blocked shots, and thats not far off his average. Jack Montague, a 6'0" senior point guard, hit 6 three pointers in their last game, for a career high 21 points. Montague shoots better than 50% from outside the arc, for his career, and this year he's becoming a major part of their offense, he's capable of lighting up the scoreboard if he can get open and find space to get his shot off. Nick Victor, a 6'5" senior forward from Dallas, had 9 points and 11 rebounds in their last game, and will probably have extra incentive to play well in his return home. Brandon Sherrod, a 6'6" 240 pound senior, is short but hefty for a power forward, and he does most of his work in the paint, averaging 14 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Sophomore guard Makai Mason is the only underclassman in the starting 5 but he has been the leading scorer in 2 of the first 3 games, and is averaging 18 points per game. He shoots 43% from 3-point range. Sam Downey is a 6'9" junior who averages 4 points and 4 rebounds a game, he may see more playing time against SMU, because of our height advantage.
Yale has better athletes than most Ivy league teams, and is an experienced and veteran group. They dont have much size, and I am not sure about their depth, but they look like they could win the IVY league this year, and get the auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. They're a solid opponent, capable of an upset.
Thats the quick version, dont have time for anything more in depth, almost game time.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Good info.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball