PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jank

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Just wondering what folks think about coach Jank after seeing him a couple of games? To me, it seems as though he has learned a lot from Coach Brown about game management.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Jank

Postby smupony94 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Players love him
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 pm

So far he has done a good job getting the guys to play hard. He also has done a good job figuring outline ups when dealing with foul trouble. Of course so far we have played teams that we are much better than.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 pm

I also liked the way he handled KF last night when he was getting frustrated.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponyneighbor » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:03 pm

I have no idea how good a coach he is, but I have been VERY impressed with his press conferences. His presser after the first game was arguably the most thoughtful and concise 8 minutes I've ever heard from a coach at any level. It was really insightful and well communicated, but at the same time matter-of-fact and humble. I got more out of that 8 minutes than I got out of an entire season's worth of generic coach speak from most pro and college coaches.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:27 pm

listening to his halftime interview you would have thought we were down by 20
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Stallion wrote:listening to his halftime interview you would have thought we were down by 20
so just like Larry
smupony94

Postby The Falcon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 am

Ponyneighbor wrote:I have no idea how good a coach he is, but I have been VERY impressed with his press conferences. His presser after the first game was arguably the most thoughtful and concise 8 minutes I've ever heard from a coach at any level. It was really insightful and well communicated, but at the same time matter-of-fact and humble. I got more out of that 8 minutes than I got out of an entire season's worth of generic coach speak from most pro and college coaches.

I agree with your comments totally, Mr. Neighbor. Until I heard his pressers this year, I
wondered if he had a personality and confidence. He always seemed so serious and
staring straight ahead last year. But - he is a very good communicator who answers
questions directly with great candor and humility. I like his personality and I like the
way he handles the players and the game. I hope he stays with us as long as it takes.
I also think he is very loyal to Larry and realizes that players want to come here to play
for Larry. After seeing Jank in action this year, I think he will also have a good impact
on recruits and recruiting. Way to go Mr. Jank - glad you are here.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:27 am

I think the honest and insightful answer to this is; I am not 100% yet but I am now confident we have a winner to relieve LB and continue the growth. The 9 game run will provide us a very good understanding. I hope it continues as it began.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:33 am

Ha! Maybe he's our Gary Patterson

Hey the guy is no chump or he wouldn't have been hired by Bill Shelf, Larry Brown, UT and 4 other P5s -he had strong results in his last program with 4 20+ win seasons at a low profile program. I think he's been a big ingredient in the turnaround and I hope he goes 9-0-he did find Nic Moore for us
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:12 am

It was great seeing the video clips of him as the head coach at Illinois State and Nic Moore as the point guard when he was a freshman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:18 am

Were only two games in but I'm thrilled with what I'm seeing. Like others have mentioned, his presser after SHSU School for the Blind was impressive and it's clear he has the respect of his team. I said in an earlier thread that his 9 game run is one little silver lining in this whole s**Tstorm. It's really an audition and so far he's looking good.

Let's hope it continues. We've yet to be in a situation where the last few minutes of a game need to be "managed." That's going to speak volumes. Nobody here has had any probelems second-guessing LB in these cases….so I'm sure when it happens it will get interesting in here.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby KWhiz77 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 am

I like so far... Under the circumstances I see it as beneficial bc is showing recruits we have a strong, respected guy ready to step up when LB leaves- smooth transition. Maybe this will ease some of the "how long will LB be there/program viable" question we have heard in the past.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Another thoughtful and interesting presser. We're lucky to have him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Did he say why we let Yale roll the ball all the way down the court potentially putting game at risk at the end? Really hated that.
gostangs

Next

Return to Basketball