PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Top 25

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Top 25

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 am

lollaperuna wrote:Top 25 isn't even on the horizon for this team. Plenty of time for that to change but I'm not confident.

Really? They win the next three games and they are a solid Top 25 team. One in which we will be heavy favorites and two of those three games that will essentially be pick-ems by Vegas.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am

The team is way to inconsistent to be a top 25. I'm not saying it's impossible. Obviously you beat USC and TCU, we would get 20-25 spot but that's a tall order for them to beat USC and go on the road and beat TCU.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:The team is way to inconsistent to be a top 25. I'm not saying it's impossible. Obviously you beat USC and TCU, we would get 20-25 spot but that's a tall order for them to beat USC and go on the road and beat TCU.

I can see it happening. USC at Moody late night, Moody Magic will be in full effect. TCU hasn't played anyone with a pulse yet per usual and honestly could have lost to South Dakota, struggled to New Mexico and St Bonaventure. Shut down Brodziansky like they did the AZ big man and we will be set
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 am

PonyTime wrote:
lollaperuna wrote:Top 25 isn't even on the horizon for this team. Plenty of time for that to change but I'm not confident.

Really? They win the next three games and they are a solid Top 25 team. One in which we will be heavy favorites and two of those three games that will essentially be pick-ems by Vegas.

Sure, beat USC and TCU and they will get votes but after watching the Bahamas tournament it doesn't seem likely.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm

lollaperuna wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Sure, beat USC and TCU and they will get votes but after watching the Bahamas tournament it doesn't seem likely.

I feel more confident about our ability to beat USC and/or TCU based on what I saw in the Bahamas.

We beat a top team with our star player playing a cruddy offensive game.

We had a senior play out of his mind before being benched with a bogus call.

We had a Frosh hit the court in the second half of a game and rip off 13 quick points.

We neutralized a future NBA post player.

Sure we left with only one out of three - but I saw much more to feel better about in that tournament than I had seen in any of the drubbings of patsy opponents at Moody in the preceding weeks.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I hope your optimism proves to be true, but we couldn't beat USC last year with a much better team than we have this year. It wasn't in Moody, but our fans made Tulsa seem like Moody North.

Also, we got beat in the Bahamas by two directional schools from inferior conferences.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 pm

We're playing 4 frosh, our only big with any experience missed the first two weeks and is just beginning to play his way into shape, and we have a top guard sitting on the bench until the end of December (hopefully). So I think non-conference is just going to be a roller-coaster. . . some good nights and some bad. Both USC and TCU are going to be tough tests. We could very well lose both.

Having said that, I see three mitigating factors: (1) we get USC at Moody on a Saturday night before finals start; (2) TCU hasn't played anyone worth a damn and we will be their first real test; and (3) I clearly don't know what I am talking about since I thought Zona would run us out of the gym in the first 20 minutes. :D
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Why in the world would we schedule USC the weekend before finals.. thankfully, no excuses students. The only time I say this: you have all day Sunday. You should have studied during all the bye games like tonight!
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Its not the weekend BEFORE exams you have to worry about-its the first game AFTER Finals which is usually one of the ugliest games of the year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:30 am

Man that’s just sad. I would be looking forward to a big basketball game after all the stress has been finished. I could understand having to skip if you have like a Monday exam or whatever. No matter, that place should be rocking. Anything less than a full house would be disappointing.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Pretty legitimate ballot. I think a little harsh on Cincy for a heated road loss. I don’t know much about it but 5-2 URI seems strange.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 pm

That WKU game is what really sucked. Anyway, moving on. I think we'll get a few votes tomorrow. But we'll need to sweep the rest of OOC (a real possibility) to get back in the top 25. Some of the teams in there now are just silly (TCU, aTm, baylor, tech, alabama).
ojaipony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

The aggies are a legitimate team. Easily a tourney team. They beat WVU, USC on the road and I believe another big team. I think their SoS is like 21 compare to ours at like 100 something. TCU is silly but they’re undefeated P5 so they’re going to get benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we crush them by 20 and bye bye froggy.

Bama should be out given they lost 4-3 UCF at home. Good job knights. Glad those idiotic Bama fans have something not go their way.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 pm

We are now #25 Sagarin: http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball