PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mouthy Ref

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mouthy Ref

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:30 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
Stallion wrote:yeah I thought he was going to Tee up someone in the Stands

Yeah, what happened there? First I thought that the fan was standing and bumped him, but the ref gave him the death stare, thought he was going to T up the crowd. Anyone know who sits there? Just south of the tv table.

How much was left in the game when this happened?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:32 pm

it was pretty late in the game if i recall. last couple of minutes.

Is there any protocol for getting T'd up in the crowd? That would be no fun.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:36 pm

I did like how the Yale dude who fouled out waited to sit down until just when Nic was shooting his FT. Smart kids up there.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Mouthy Ref

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah it was near the end when it got really tight. Weird thing was that we got the call but the Ref seemed really angry.
smusic 00

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I did like how the Yale dude who fouled out waited to sit down until just when Nic was shooting his FT. Smart kids up there.

I think everyone has that figured out now. Lucky it was Nic shooting with ice in his veins.
smusic 00

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:39 pm

apparently he was getting help he didn't think he needed.
gostangs

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:19 am

Out here in TV Land you could hear the impact on the crowd immediately after Ben got t'd up. The chorus of boos everytime that guy touched the ball was fitting. I thought the guy might have been acting a bit when he curled up in a fetal position on the floor.

That was a huge rallying point for the crowd AND the team and It may be the only big play Ben was involved in all game. It might even have been the reason he had a poor game. It was a tough situation and a hard foul...IMHO the right thing to do.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 am

He had to foul there and he got a big part of the ball plus a big part of the dude. But dude fell like a rag doll and curled up to draw the technical. We all noticed and the boos were hilarious and likely effective. Love it.
smusic 00

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 am

Effective for overall crowd involvement? Yes. However that kid continued to torch us from deep if I remember correctly
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:17 am

The best acting job was the flop by the kid on the foul on sterling against the ball screen. Sterling barely bumped him and he flew to the ground so in real time it looked like sterling knocked him over. Also the one call on MK on a rebound was ridiculous. All from same mouthy ref.

Damn I love Moody! What a special place. Great job folks!!
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am

On the flagrant, Ben got a lot of ball but the follow through did smash the kid pretty hard. That's a flagrant 1.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:29 am

On TV, late in the game, one could hear a female fan yelling (multiple times) 'call it both ways, ref.' I can't imagine that got under any refs skin. I wonder if other less than inoffensive comments were being made. The refs didn't seem to be on to of their game the whole game as well.
ponyte

Postby vismatt » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:08 am

The incident with Nic and the ref was the result of Nic pushing a Yale player's hand off of him. The player fouled Nic and continued to hold him around the waist and Nic pushed his hand off. The ref immediately went running over and got in Nic's face. I couldn't see what the ref was saying, but Nic kept saying that the guy was holding him.

I was amazed during the game at how many calls came from that same ref when he was on the opposite side of the court with at least one of the other officials in a much better position to make the call. Hopefully we don't see this crew again any time soon.
vismatt
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:19 am

What was up with the Time out Call that resulted in the steal and the hard foul. Seems that we actually called time out before that even happened...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:43 am

PonyTime wrote:What was up with the Time out Call that resulted in the steal and the hard foul. Seems that we actually called time out before that even happened...

That was a result of us not remembering the new rule that says a coach can only call a timeout during a dead ball situation. When Jank called it, the ref actually looked at Nic to say okay, he can't call it but you can..our guys slowed down thinking the timeout had been called, and one thing led to another.
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball