PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kyle Wilson

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kyle Wilson

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:48 pm

Wilson is from Jesuit, went to Illinois and now appears to be transferring to Wichita State. Anybody know if SMU made a run at him this time? I know we did recruit him out of high school and SMU was on some of his interest lists...I dont think Wichita was.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Kyle Wilson

Postby The CPC » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:24 pm

CPC doesnt think Wilson made any contact with SMU about transferring here. Doesnt look like SMU was one of his choices.

In other recruiting news, TCU has a commitment from Femi Ibikunle, a 6'9" 245lb nigerian import who is attending New Hampton prep this year, the same school that Donatas Rackauskas came from. Ibikunle has a very limited offensive game, but he has an NBA body already, and may give TCU the physical inside presence on defense that they have been desperately lacking. Ibikunle is a very raw, inexperienced player, but a monster of a physical specimen. He was being recruited by several national powers, had a scholarship offer to a Final Four team (Marquette) but turned it down for TCU. He says he likes warm weather.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In other recruiting news, TCU has a commitment from Femi Ibikunle, a 6'9" 245lb nigerian import who is attending New Hampton prep this year, the same school that Donatas Rackauskas came from. Ibikunle has a very limited offensive game, but he has an NBA body already, and may give TCU the physical inside presence on defense that they have been desperately lacking. Ibikunle is a very raw, inexperienced player, but a monster of a physical specimen. He was being recruited by several national powers, had a scholarship offer to a Final Four team (Marquette) but turned it down for TCU. He says he likes warm weather. [/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI...he also had current offers on the table from Okla State and Iowa State, in addition to Marquette. UNC, Cincy, Villanova and others showed interest during the recruiting process. Per one source, he was the 4th highest rated unsigned player in the nation. You are right - we desperately need his size and strength. Actually, we could really use another one just like him and apparently Dougherty is in the hunt for a couple other post players in the 6'9"-6'10" range. I hope we exact some revenge against the Ponies this coming winter.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby The CPC » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ReedFrawg:
<B> FYI...he also had current offers on the table from Okla State and Iowa State, in addition to Marquette. UNC, Cincy, Villanova and others showed interest during the recruiting process. Per one source, he was the 4th highest rated unsigned player in the nation. You are right - we desperately need his size and strength. Actually, we could really use another one just like him and apparently Dougherty is in the hunt for a couple other post players in the 6'9"-6'10" range. I hope we exact some revenge against the Ponies this coming winter.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you mean Dougherty WAS in the hunt for a couple of other posts. Reggie George just committed to Iowa State, and Darius Manciel has signed with McNeese. Not sure if you guys still wanted Manciel, he was originally one of Tubbs recruits who didnt qualify.
TCU needs some meat in the lane on defense, thats their biggest and most desperate need. The Frogs have plenty of wing players that can score, and more than a couple guys who can lead the team at the point, but trying to move Bingo to center was a failed experiment, and no one else has the muscle to guard the paint. TCU could score on anyone this past year, but anyone could score ont hem. It was a yearlong layup festival. Brian Carter has been a bust and Sloan is too skinny to effectively guard the paint.
I've heard TCU is chasing Marquise Lewis, he's the kind of serious widebody that will fill your need. He wont be a star, but he'll clog the lane, and he's more experienced and ready to play than Femi. The only question is, if TCU is going to sign another player, who are they kicking off the team to make room for the scholarship?
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:37 am

Actually, I believe the reports about George's commitment came out the day I posted this message. But I don't follow bball recruiting very closely. And no, I don't think we were interested in Manciel this time around. You are right on about our interior needs and I know its obvious to Dougherty as well. I don't know how we would make room for another player, but according to speculation on kfc.com, there may be a player or two that are grade risks or considering a transfer. I have no inside info - just passing along what I have read.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Return to Basketball