PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Equestrian Team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's Equestrian Team

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:00 pm

Glad to see the newest team at SMU. Title IX rides again.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Women's Equestrian Team

Postby Nacho » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:30 pm

Are they going to ride mustangs? I would pay to see that.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:52 pm

Maybe they'll ride OldPony?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PK » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:49 pm

Are you sure you're up to it OP??? I hear that swaybacks have trouble jumping those fences. Image
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Diehard Pony » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:47 pm

Don't we all just love it that we are diverting additional funds toward another sport with absolutely zero appeal or revenue. I really hope that it was mandated that we add another women's sport, or our athletic department has lost it completely.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:48 am

The fact that the "Gender Equity" study arrived at this decision should tell you all you need to know, i.e., this is all about Title IX compliance. As long as there is no exemption for football, this will continue to be a problem all over the country for administrators trying to balance athletic budgets. Instead of adding women's sports, I'm really surprised SMU hasn't moved the other direction (dropping men's sports). This is why the Mustang Club is more important than ever. Sure would be nice if more than 5% of our alumni would support athletics.

As a side note, CP's 16 yr old daughter participates in this sport so I happen to like the fact that scholarships are being made available for equestrian teams. She's very talented, but I don't like the thought of her riding any "old ponies". Mrs CP and I are concerned enough about her having a crush on a college frosh!
Charleston Pony

Postby No Quarter » Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:41 pm

What is the season for this sport? If there is a collegiate championship meet, when is it held? Does the location change from year to year or is it always in the smae place?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby IslandBoy » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:26 pm

A&M has it (They're even the National Champs - You supply the punchlines...) & their website says it's fall & spring like golf & tennis.

[This message has been edited by IslandBoy (edited 04-19-2003).]
IslandBoy

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:15 am

CP has nothing to worry about with OP. OP is just a dreamer. Now 30 years ago, YoungPony would have been a danger. PK is right. Those fences are just too high. OP could get hurt (esp by Mrs.OP).
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball