PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Carmelo Anthony - scary

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Carmelo Anthony - scary

Postby Jim Rome » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:10 pm

"I don't mean to sound bad, but we won the national championship. There's nothing else I can get out of college."

Hey Mello -- ever heard of a degree?

Then again, there are reports floating around that he might have been academically ineligible next year had he stayed, since he's supposedly nowhere near a 2.0 average. Boeheim was quoted as saying Mello had "done more for Syracuse University than any player we've ever recruited." Seems like a shame for all those guys who went pro and got degrees.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Re: Carmelo Anthony - scary

Postby TUfan » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:40 pm

You ended the quote prematurely...

"I don't want to make it sound bad, but there's really nothing more that I could get out of college. And I'm going to get my degree -- you can quote me on that."

I'm not a fan of underclassmen leaving early, but honestly, I think he's doing the right thing.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:41 pm

That's pathetic. Carmello and Boeheim should be ashamed. Obviously there are a lot of players who don't expect to graduate, who see college as nothing more than a springboard to a professional career.

But to come out and say it like that is shameful, and makes a mockery of Syracuse, which is a very good academic university for students who actually want a degree.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Jim Rome » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:43 pm

TUFan, you're right - I remember him saying that. But somehow, I don't see him going back. From all accounts, school has nothing to do with academics for this kid. I bet he's one of those athletes who makes his millions and never goes back for his degree. I hope I'm wrong, because he seems like a good kid. But I bet I'm not, unfortunately.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:45 pm

OK, so he's not a student. Neither are a thousand other college athletes.

More importantly, if you have the first pick, do you take him or LeBron James or that 6-11 European kid who's supposed to be pretty amazing?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:29 pm

Ikus: you are critical of a kid for "using college as a springboard to a professional career"? Isn't that what everyone who attends college is doing? If you can launch that career after only one year of preparation, what's wrong with that? I really don't understand everyone who criticizes kids who come out early...provided they are in fact "ready" for the next level (meaning they get drafted and sign contracts that will allow them to make a lot more than most of us earn after studying/preparing for 4 or more years).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:37 am

Carmelo Anthony is a lotto lock who should not be criticized by anyone for the $20M+ in contracts he is about to sign this summer.

My advice to Anthony:

You owe Syracuse and Coach Boeheim (whom I admire) about as much loyalty as Coach Roy Williams showed KU, Coach Bill Self showed Illinois or whoever bolts their job to take the Illinois position.

Willis McGahee is a perfect example of what can potentially go wrong by staying in school.

More importantly than getting a college degree before age 30, keep your head straight and out of trouble. The degree can come after your playing career.
SoCal_Pony

Postby couch 'em » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:16 pm

There is nothing wrong with leaving school early.... look at the options:

Leave early, earn tons of money, and come back at any time for a degree...if you even need/want it.

or

Play 2 more years in college, get hurt, never make any money, and drop out of college early because you can't afford tuition/ can't make the grade when you arent' proped up with athlete classes.

Which would you choose?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby RI Stang » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:32 pm

What is the purpose of college? Is it to prepare you to get the best job possible when you graduate?

If so, tell me - what better job could Carmelo get by staying in school for three more years and graduating?

Please let us know, I'm anxious to start earning my $30 million despite my lack of NBA quality basketball skills...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:35 am

When you were a sophomore at SMU and someone offered you $20MM to go to work, what would you do? Athletes have a fixed # of years that they can earn money. As businesspeople we are not faced with those same restrictions. If you could only work in your profession for a maximum of 10 years, what would you do?

I don't necessarily like it, but that's the reality of the situation. Also, the NBA and NFL have a program that allows athletes to earn their degrees in the offseason and the leagues fund their tuition.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:29 am

Do you mean that if athletes could work 40 years that they should turn down 20mill? I don't think so. BTW-Just because an athlete is typically through playing at 30 years of age doesn't mean his career is over. Just his playing career and if he can't find employment at that time, he's probably really stupid.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:44 pm

Let's not miss my point by splitting hairs. I was talking about his playing career as an athlete. I made the rational assumption that everyone knew "career" in this context was his playing career. I'll be sure and spell it out more plainly.

To address another point, many professional athletes aren't known for their intellect or decision making ability so making as much money as they can as an athlete is probably in their best interest. Now I know many of them have friends who ask them invest in some restaurant concept or some other poor investments and they blow their money, but that was their choice.

If an athlete's career was longer (you cite 40 years) then the opportunity cost to stay in school would in all likelihood be less.

[This message has been edited by BigEasyPony (edited 04-30-2003).]
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball