PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This must have been awkward

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This must have been awkward

Postby Dubbya » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:11 pm

Iowa State men's basketball coach Larry Eustachy held a news conference today, saying he's an alcoholic and is getting help, but won't resign. Then the Iowa State
AD held a news conference at which he said he was canning Eustachy -- and had told him of the decision this morning (before the first press conference.) Maybe the coach went on a binge before his press conference and forgot his meeting with the AD?
Dubbya
Junior Varsity

Re: This must have been awkward

Postby EastStang » Thu May 01, 2003 11:18 am

I think the coach was playing the alcholism card because he is technically suspended for five days and the firing doesn't take effect if the University President reverses the AD. He is probably hoping that the President will let him go to Betty Ford and return. Won't happen in my view. ISU doesn't want fans showing up at all their away games with Natural Light cans and fat girl dresses.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BigEasyPony » Thu May 01, 2003 1:35 pm

I think it was fairly disingenuous of Eustachy to come out when he did and use the "I'm an alcoholic" card. I think that the AD is making this move b/c he has found out about a pattern and not a one time incident. I feel bad for this guy's wife and kids though.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri May 02, 2003 2:20 pm

Me too. They must be hearing it from all sides.
Interesting that he only realized he was an alcoholic shortly before the pictures surfaced, not when the event occurred.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Tue May 06, 2003 10:37 am

Alcoholics only admit they are when they get caught. I have little doubt that he is. He has been fired. All the posturing over the past few weeks has been about money (most likely his wife's posture also). Now that he has gotten his $960,000 buy out, he is back to old Larry again. Look for a divorce in the next 6-8 months. Hard to live with a women when your drinking and chasing cost a million dollar a year salary. She just might remind him of that a time or two. His biggest sin at ISU has probably been that he isn't a winner. Had he been a proven winner, he would have been given a second chance. Losers don't get another chance.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Vitale » Tue May 06, 2003 5:21 pm

That first sentence is pretty harsh, OP. There are many who address their problems on their own, without getting fired, losing a spouse, etc. Perhaps you were joking. Hopefully his wife will help him through this. To suggest that she won't is as much a slap in her face as your first statement is to his.

[This message has been edited by Vitale (edited 05-06-2003).]
Vitale
All-American

Postby OldPony » Tue May 06, 2003 8:11 pm

In my experience with alcoholics, it ususally takes an incident of some kind (most are less public) to convince an alcoholic that he needs to turn his life around. Larry E has a history of this kind of incident so it most likely did not surprise his wife.
He has been posturing to get a settlement. He said one week ago that he would never coach anywhere other than ISU but today after the big $ said he could never quit coaching and was looking for a new job.
If you think a wife would not remind a husband that his indiscretions cost them a $1million a year job, your kidding yourself. Even if she believes what she is saying today, there will always be an elephant in the room and most marriages will crack under that strain even if the offending spouse gets help and becomes "cured". Sorry if that offends you but the odds are well in my favor on this argument. Like you, I hope he gets help and that their marriage is strong enough to withstand this but I am highly, highly doubtful. I don't intend to be harsh but I would give odds on my statement.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue May 06, 2003 8:23 pm

Having defended myself against wrongful termination suits, I can tell you that any admissions about “Being an Alcoholic” were probably done so at the advice of his attorney. Why??...could be to extract a higher settlement as alcoholism can be viewed as a disability (at least it can be out here).
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 06, 2003 9:04 pm

yes, let's get the labor lawyers in on this to talk about the ADA and it's impact on this guy's settlement. I heard today that Iowa State had no type of "morals" or behavioral clause in his contract (as Alabama did for Price after the DuBose and Sanderson scandals), so they were probably happy to get out as cheaply as they did.
Charleston Pony

Postby Roach » Wed May 07, 2003 11:07 am

Hey SportsLaw, what's your stance on all this?

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited 05-07-2003).]
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Return to Basketball