PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chris Bosh turning Pro

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chris Bosh turning Pro

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 09, 2003 4:24 pm

Lincoln graduate Chris Bosh will hold a 2 p.m. news conference today at the school to announce he's leaving college to enter the NBA Draft. Bosh, a freshman at Georgia Tech, has been projected as a lottery pick.

BHop is looking better every day.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Chris Bosh turning Pro

Postby OldPony » Fri May 09, 2003 4:36 pm

Amen- There is a double edge in these very top recruits. This is something that the top 10 has to deal with on an annual basis. I wish we had the problem on more occasions but I like our current players if they continue to work hard and improve. This year and next the added maturity should bode us well. Even guys who are top 150 athletes usually stck up well against top 50 is they are juniors and seniors against freshmen. Imay be in for a disappointment but i like our team for the next 2 years barring injuries.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Fri May 09, 2003 5:01 pm

Here's hoping Hop - finally healthy - plays so well we have to worry about him jumping next year, or the year after.
Can't wait to see him at full speed.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat May 10, 2003 2:41 pm

The fact that Bosh is going pro after one season speaks volumes for Hopkins, considering less than two years ago Bosh wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. That honor belonged to our guy. Not to take anything away from Bosh, he is a phenomenal player, and he is 7’0” but high school coaches and recruiting experts knew how Hopkins could take over a game with his all around game. Unfortunately, we haven’t gotten to see that yet at SMU because of his health, weight and conditioning problems. Let's just hope that Hop is in the gym right now working on his game. If so, the impressive follow-up dunk you saw against Nevada in the WAC tourney will be a common occurrence next season...and more importantly, SMU will be a much better team.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Sat May 10, 2003 3:47 pm

There is more to being a top gy than ability. If BHop isn't a hard worker, he'll be a flop. Here's hoping that seeing Bosh turn pro will light a fire under BHop to really work on his game and conditioning. He was a contributor but last year I would rate him the 3rd best on the SMU team behind Ross and Simpson. Third best at SMU isn't going to get anyone to the pros.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat May 10, 2003 5:10 pm

I agree with you OldPony. Hopefully, all the success of Hopkins old Metroplex friends (Bosh going pro, Horton and Wright making a big impact on the Big 10, Diogu winning PAC 10 freshman of the year) will push him to get back to that level. This will be a telling summer for him personally. Its all up to Bryan.

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat May 10, 2003 6:39 pm

I agree LA, big summer for BHop. I like his chances to have a big year next year though. As another recruiting period passes, I must say I am little disappointed that we didnt get any high profile Texas kids to follow Hop to SMU.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat May 10, 2003 7:05 pm

I couldn't agree more HF. I have no idea how this year's class will turn out but I was a little disappionted that we didn't land a more high profile recruit.

LA_Mustang

Postby giacfsp » Sun May 11, 2003 6:43 pm

Even if Hop has a great summer and turns in a monster sophomore year, I don't know if we'll be a better team overall, unless the freshmen turn out to be major surprises. Losing Q will hurt a lot, and I think Jibran Kelley will be appreciated much more when he's gone. He never lit up the scoreboard with Q-like outbursts, but he worked his tail off on defense and was a very good rebounded. In my opinion, losing Jibran will hurt. A lot.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Waz » Mon May 12, 2003 9:56 am

When speaking of next year, please don't forget "The Dement Factor". That should pretty much let us know what to expect our year to be like.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball