PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former Tech guard considering SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Former Tech guard considering SMU

Postby PonyTales » Wed May 21, 2003 10:59 am

From Wednesday's DMN:

Former Tech guard considering Ponies

UNIVERSITY PARK – Former Texas Tech guard Nathan Doudney said he is considering transferring to SMU or Gonzaga. Doudney, a Rockwall native, does not have a timetable for making a decision. Doudney said SMU coach Mike Dement has done a "great job" recruiting him.

"It has to be the right decision this time, a place where I'm going to be comfortable," Doudney said. "And my style of play has to be conducive with what the coach wants and how the team plays."

— Rick Alonzo
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Former Tech guard considering SMU

Postby The CPC » Wed May 21, 2003 1:26 pm

Doudney was recruited by several schools, including SMU, when he was in high school. He originally committed to Tulsa, but backed out when Knight took the job at Tech. He played in every game this year at Tech, started 6 times, and averaged about 14 minutes a game. He made his reputation in high school as a 3-point shooter, and was 2nd on Techs team in 3's made and shooting percentage this past season. Didnt score much from anywhere but the three-point arc or the foul line, though. Averaged 4.1 points a game.

Doudney would be an excellent fit at Gonzaga. Not that we dont want him here, but he's very similar to the type of player they have had.

Yes, Doudney would probably contribute at SMU, considering that he was a consistent contributor on a team that beat the stuffing out of the Mustangs. He isnt as athletic as Isham, but is a better shooter.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby TUfan » Fri May 23, 2003 10:04 am

TU did his mom a favor and denied his admission to TU. His mom is a nutcase, so be careful.

Word out of Gonzaga is that he is not a high priority for them and going there would mean bench time behind Bankhead, Michaelson, and Reisman-- not to mention the incoming Raivio, and undoubtedly the 2004 signees, as I have seen several very good guards looking at the Zags.

Besides-- TU fans would love to "welcome" him back to the DonRey. ;-)

[This message has been edited by TUfan (edited 05-23-2003).]
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri May 23, 2003 12:51 pm

As I recall, Doudney and Brian Miller were both high scorers and top shooters in Area 5A ball at the same time a few years ago. After watching Miller play in the TABC All Star game in Fort Worth, I thought SMU got quite a player. Due to injuries and whatever, it hasnt worked out that way so far. Doudney is very wiry but he did show some things at Tech. Now, it didn't hurt that defenses concentrated on Emmitt, Powell and several other guys leaving Doudney open looks that I am not sure he will get at SMU. All in all, wouldnt be a bad pickup to contribute the year after next, but with Miller already redshirting and Demetric Bennett coming in from Georgia, not sure its a good plan to load up at the same position.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Fri May 23, 2003 1:59 pm

Dement's always loaded up on perimeter guys, since we haven't had a legitimate inside scorer since Jay Poerner.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby 50's PONY » Fri May 23, 2003 5:04 pm

Sorry guys! I can't get fired up for Doudney. He ditched us the first time around, ditched Tulsa, and from what I hear, had trouble getting along at Tech. Lets save the scholarship for the early signing period!
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Basketball