PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fresno and the WAC Tournament

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fresno and the WAC Tournament

Postby TUfan » Thu May 29, 2003 9:44 am

<A HREF="http://tulsagoldenhurricane.com/Yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=bblmn;action=display;num=1054211262" TARGET=_blank>http://tulsagoldenhurricane.com/Yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=bblmn;action=display;num=1054211262</A>

Take a minute to vote in the poll re: Fresno hosting if they are ineligible.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Re: Fresno and the WAC Tournament

Postby EastStang » Thu May 29, 2003 6:12 pm

Kind of a tacky poll if you ask me. FSU just built a new arena, so what if they can't play. What if they finished 10th and lost the play-in game, should they lose the site? No. I just hope they don't get the DP. No school deserves that even FSU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TUfan » Thu May 29, 2003 6:40 pm

It's not tacky. It's honest. The Commish has stated that they would seriously consider moving it if Fresno is not eligible. There are concerns that the attendance would be really low, the Tournament would lose money, and the Fresno "package" (financial) or money that they basically guarentee they will distribute to the schools won't be made.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 29, 2003 8:10 pm

How many WAC east schools will travel well to Fresno? Bottom line is that if Fresno doesn't play, then having the tourney in Fresno would be a disaster. Fair is fair and you have to mix up the east/west sites for travel/expense purposes, so I would favor Reno as a replacement site.
Charleston Pony

Postby couch 'em » Thu May 29, 2003 8:39 pm

As long as it isn't moved back to Tulsa.....that place is horrible. While being honored by the WAC officials by being asked to stay past the team being eliminated and play outside the front of the arena before all of the games for the rest of the tourney, the city was boring.....
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby TUfan » Fri May 30, 2003 12:12 am

It should have never been in Tulsa for three years in a row to start with. The only reason it was this past year was because Fresno wanted to push their hosting back a year and no one else stepped up to host it-- undoubtedly due to the late date that it was decided that the SMC wouldn't be completed in time.

There are things to do in the city. You just have to know where to go. Image However, it will never compare to Minneapolis (the only really LARGE city that I have had the opportunity to spend a considerable amount of time in).

[This message has been edited by TUfan (edited 05-29-2003).]
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri May 30, 2003 3:07 pm

No...Tulsa sucks... and Minneapolis? You need to get out more.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby TUfan » Fri May 30, 2003 5:00 pm

I am from MN, so mpls makes perfect sense and is a whole lot of fun! Nightlife all over the place, plenty of sporting events, and excellent shopping! Most of all-- excellent shopping!
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Fri May 30, 2003 7:53 pm

TUfan I guess you must have missed the WAC tourney before the MWC split off...when it was in Vegas it was a blast...an absolute blast....compared to that no matter where we have it, the town is definitely boring....Fresno, Tulsa.....both are pretty boring (and yes I have been to both), honestly...to me the only place that might be comparable would be either Reno or Hawaii, but then I have never been to either place so I can't say for sure.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TUfan » Fri May 30, 2003 9:05 pm

abe-- I'm not saying that it should be in Tulsa again. Honestly, I am ready to go somewhere. But Tulsa does not "suck."

I went to Reno for the TU/NV game this past year and had a blast. And you are right-- I wasn't around before the split. At a whopping 23 years old, I didn't even know that TU existed until 5 years ago when I decided to go to school there. However, I have visited Vegas and did have a good time there too. The food...mmm...
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat May 31, 2003 12:14 am

I would consider going to Reno for a tourney but Fresno sucks as does Tulsa. The problem is, none of these schools travel well so therein lies the issue. Nobody in DFW would attend a WAC tourney at Reunion or wherever. - they have better things to do.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:27 pm

I can't believe anyone would rather go to Fresno than anywhere. Tulsa is beautiful by comparison.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby TUfan » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:51 pm

travel well? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if the WAC Tournament were in an "attaction city" such as Reno (well, anywhere but Hawaii, Fresno and San Jose probably) Tulsa would travel well. Shoot-- if 200 people or so will go to South Padre Island for a tiny pre-season tournament, I'm sure at least that many would go to Reno or Dallas or Houston, etc. Image
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:32 pm

I think there is more of an issue with the other schools outside of Tulsa traveling well, although I don't remember a whole lot of them at the last tourney in Fresno. I didn't say Tulsa sucked, I said it was boring, as was Fresno, and that nothing would compare to Vegas...never been to Reno, but if it is anything like Vegas than I am sure it would be a blast...
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:41 pm

The WAC is so far flung, it doesn't matter because only 1000 fans or so will travel with any team if it is over 500 miles. I think the WAC ought to just look for either good basketball cities or ones that are fun to visit. New Orleans anyone? Reno? Las Vegas? Tahoe? Maybe then 2000 from every school goes then and the place is full. Tulsa probably supports the Tourney as well as any city would for just the basketball. How about Hawaii? OP is up for any place fun.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball