PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Draft theory

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Draft theory

Postby Corso » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:27 pm

With the Major League Baseball Draft last week, there was a lot written about how the reason the Oakland A's have gotten good in recent years is because they have spent their draft picks (or most of them) on productive college players (Barry Zito, etc.) who are more mature - physically and mentally - than the high school stars who might have greater potential, but also might flame out altogether.

With that in mind, I wonder if the same theory might apply to basketball. If you're the GM/president of a rebuilding team (that doesn't have one of the top three picks that would allow you to choose LeBron James, Darko Milicic or Carmelo Anthony), wouldn't it be wise - or at least safer - to bypass the high school stars (Villanueva, Kendrick Perkins, etc.) to go instead with seasoned, productive college players like Nick Collison, Reece Gaines, Josh Howard, Steve Blake .... and of course, Quinton Ross? Seems to me that approach might not get your team to the NBA championship, but it might make a team competitive much more quickly.

Thoughts?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft theory

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:02 pm

I think that's definitely the way to go. Guys like Villanueva could be the next Kevin Garnett, or the next Korleone Young (my point exactly - one year and out of the NBA). Kendrick Perkins could emerge into the Shaq, or he could become Ike Austin, Part 2. Ugh.

With the college seniors, you have a better chance of getting what you're looking for. Nick Collison has been called a slightly shorter Kevin McHale -- very sound fundamentally, although not overly pretty. Steve Blake might never win a scoring title or a dunk contest, but he'll quietly put up a ton of assists and steals and make his teammates better, while playing stingy defense. Josh Howard might well become the next Kerry Kittles or Aaron McKie - solid if unspectacular perimeter guy.

You're right - there are no Kobe Bryants or Kevin Garnetts in that bunch. But there probably aren't a lot of busts, either.

And add Luke Ridenour to your list of seniors who should be solid players for many years. He's a pretty strong player.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PG » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:22 pm

FYI...Luke Ridnour came out after his junior season. But, yes, he is very solid fundamentally and should be a solid pro.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:07 pm

Oops - thanks, PG.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:40 am

Collison is a can't miss. Its only how good he is as a pro that is in question but he'll be a player for a lot of years. Give me guys like him and Q who exhibit great work ethics, unselfish team play etc. and I'll only need one superstar to do a lot of damage in the NBA.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball