PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Doudney

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Doudney

Postby PG » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:17 am

...Committed to Gonzaga. Oh well...
PG
Junior Varsity

Re: Doudney

Postby PonyTales » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:31 pm

Damn!
Hope Dement saves the scholarship for next year.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:48 am

I think our coach has lost his edge.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:26 am

I think he lost that a hell of a long time ago.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:34 am

Yeah- Its been forever since he got BHop, Simpson and Castro. The guy just hasn't pulled ANY recruiting coups since he's been here. With the players he has gotten, we don't have a chance to compete. But wait- would that make him a poor recruiter but great coach? Gee- I'm confused.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:48 am

Good call, OldPony. I see a big year for Simpson and Castro -- especially Simpson -- and Hopkins will flip into a new gear, now that he's finally healthy. SMU's going to surprise some folks next year.a
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:57 am

Keep dreaming boys.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Fan » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:03 pm

He MAY have been a good recruiter but I think he lost some of that with Tubbs going to OU. I believe the grapevine is saying he is on his way out so in that respect, he has lost the edge.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:11 pm

Oh, I see. Tubbs was the recruiter- he just waited until Dement got to SMU because Shumate wouldn't have wanted a BHop or Sasser etc. Simpson just came because his brother was at SMU and Dement didn't call on him or his parents as often as possible. Castro just came becuase-uh- just because. Guys I know many of you don't like Dement but he has recruited very well given the circumstances. Give credit where it is due. The only rumors of Dement leaving have been on this board or started by other people of like mind on other U Boards.
I think Bhop and Simpson will have very good years. Castro & Lowe will be better and so will Isham. Rack should be some help this year and with just small contributions from Voc and others, this could be a very good team. I thought this past team played as a team better than any Dement team especially in the last half of the season. Losing Q is huge but I believe an improved BHop and Simpson can go a long way to offsetting that loss. Try hoping that SMU will win instead of hoping to prove you were "right".
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony Fan » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:25 pm

I don't really have any interest in getting in some email volley here but his record stands on its on. He has indeed recruited some very good players over the time he has been here and has no NCAA tournament appearances and one NIT where we lost in the first round to show for it. I have unquestioned loyalty to the school and the athletic teams but I also know what I see and can face reality even when I don't want to. He has been given enough time to post a consistent winner here and he hasn't done it with good recruits or not.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:21 pm

looking at this thing logically-Gonzaga has a much stronger BB program that has achieved more in 3 years than SMU has in 20 years. Maybe Doudney wanted to play for the best program possible-one that doesn't handicap its coach by refusing to use a model that allows the recruitment of large numbers of JC/CC transfers which is a big part of Gonzagas success as a BB program. Maybe he just wanted to win and play for a program that was truly committed to winning and wasn't interested in a Model that makes excuses for failure.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-16-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Tech Dad » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:51 am

Two reasons Nathan committed to Gonzaga. First SMU would only accept half his credits from Tech. Secondly he wants to play baseball and Gonzaga will allow him to play both sports.

I didn't ask him directly but I think he would have come to SMU if the credits weren't a problem. He also visited UCLA and had calls from other D-1 schools

So don't knock Dement on this one, he wasn't the one who told him his classes wouldn't be accepted.

Good Luck beat Tech!!! (it's my daughter's school not mine)
Tech Dad

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:51 pm

Advantage Gonzaga!!!!!!! One more transfer hopeful dashed by SMU's own admission policies despite the fact he was previously admitted to a similar private school like Tulsa and another private school like Gonzaga. A Commitment to Mediocracy. Its all Dement's fault!!!!

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-17-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby The CPC » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> Advantage Gonzaga!!!!!!! One more transfer hopeful dashed by SMU's own admission policies despite the fact he was previously admitted to a similar private school like Tulsa and another private school like Gonzaga. A Commitment to Mediocracy. Its all Dement's fault!!!!

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-17-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strictly speaking, this wasnt about admissions, because Doudney was admitted to SMU out of high school, as well. Nothing in Tech dads post said he was denied admission here, only that he would lose some credits.
If half his hours wouldnt transfer here, that would be a pretty signifigant number. TD, do you know specifically which courses SMU wouldnt accept, or what Doudneys major was?
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:01 pm

if half his credits didn't transfer he probably would not meet to minimum progress toward degree requirements of the NCAA. Tell me again why that's not admission issue. You continue to be in supreme denial.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-17-2003).]

Stallion

Next

Return to Basketball