PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Draft in 3 days

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Draft in 3 days

Postby Vitale » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:49 am

Any new predictions on where Quinton Ross will end up?
Vitale
All-American

Re: Draft in 3 days

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:04 pm

Amazingly, the Ticket actually mentioned him yesterday evening (nothing else on the radio). Their draft "expert" (in quotes because they didn't give his credentials) said that the Mavs often work out people they don't draft, but that both Q and Hollis Price are good "basketball guys." He said specifically that Q had gotten good reports in Chicago and Portland(I think that's right) camps, and that if Q is still there at the end of the 2nd round when the Mavs pick, they could pick him up. He said, however, that Q would be better off not being drafted than going late in the 2nd round because he'll have more flexibility as an undrafted free agent.

Not a heck of a lot of substance, but at least they mentioned the local guy.

Of course their "expert" also talked about all the Euros in the draft, and the first "Euro" he talked about was the guy from Senegal. Guess geography is not his strong point.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:07 pm

Shows the value of getting "information" from the Ticket. There's none to be had on that station.

I'd like to see Q get picked by a team that could use him. He isn't going to be a top scorer, but a team of knuckleheads like Portland or Washington could use a smart, stable guy like Q.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:48 pm

The Wizards have a bunch of players at the 2 position, and Stackhouse at the three, and will likely be looking for a point guard. My guess is that if T.J. falls to 10, they'll grab him. If not, they'll go for that point guard from Maryland to work with Juan Dixon.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:48 pm

I read somewhere that Washington might grab a small forward and move Stackhouse back to the shooting guard spot (a mistake, in my opinion). I think Juan Dixon and Steve Blake would do well if reunited, but is Blake even considered a draftable player? I haven't seen him in most mock drafts. Plus, Stackhouse has an option to bail out of his contract this year. If he does, then they need a lot of perimeter help, and small forward and shooting guard. Stack says he'll return, but who knows? They might be better off if he skips town and frees up a bunch of cap space.

I think Portland might be a great place for Ross. They might well lose Pippen, and there's talk of the new management blowing that team up -- telling Arvidas Sabonis to retire, maybe trading Rasheed Wallace just to get rid of him (how about the 'Sheed for Vince Carter rumors?), cutting Damon Stoudamire (doubtful, because of his contra$t, in which case they might trade him to anyone who would take him) -- and then building around Bonzi Wells and Zach Randolph. Q would fit in great there -- a hard worker who keeps his mouth shut, does whatever's asked of him, doesn't go on joyrides in smoke-filled vehicles, won't pout, complain, etc. He'll score if asked, he'll defend, he'll rebound .... he'd even be a practice workhorse if they didn't feel he was ready for a spot in the rotation. Portland needs a player like The Q.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:15 pm

If the Wizards traded down, they might take Ross, but not at #10. They have to make a solid pick this time after dumping MJ. They will take a safe choice or will trade the pick. I have not seen any write up in DC that they worked him out.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Swamp Gas » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:50 pm

I'd love to see the Hornets get him to New Orleans.

For Washington to take him, I'd think they'd have to get another second-round pick. For whatever reason, Ross has slid in the recent mock drafts I've seen. I don't see them taking him #38, which is their current spot in the second round. New Orleans should take him at #48!

[This message has been edited by Swamp Gas (edited 06-24-2003).]
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:28 am

I hear that Washington might take him with the 38th pick. If not, Indiana has interest with the 49th pick.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby whatasteve » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:40 am

I'd love it if Washington grabbed Q. They could use a little sanity up there after the failed Err Jordan experiment.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PG » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:16 pm

I don't think Q ever worked out for Washington or Portland so I'm not sure those teams would take a player they haven't seen in person. I could be wrong, though, since this draft is about as unpredictable as ever.

Indiana is definitely an option. They seemed to be quite interested in him. I think he'd be around at No. 49 for them to take. Denver and Memphis also have picks later in the 2nd round so they could take him as well.
PG
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball