PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh Howard???

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Josh Howard???

Postby MustangKurt20 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:13 pm

Isn't that a little high for this guy? Could Finley be gone now? Starting to look like that Chicago deal might actually fall through.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: Josh Howard???

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:36 pm

Yea, seems a little weird to me. Not sure we need someone like that although I like his athleticism.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:15 am

I like the pick. Howard is a quality player at #29. He brings some defense and ability to take it to the rack that the Mavs need, with or without Finley. The Mavs need to make a move for a big man even if you have to give up Finley or Van Exel in my opinion. They just cant improve as a team without one. Sounds like SMU, must be something about the Metroplex water.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-26-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:30 am

Finley is great but I have a hunch they may have something in mind for him or Nash. If Howard could come in and contribute off the bat, that would open things up for a good big man trade.
Pony_Fan

Postby The Q » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:47 pm

They should keep Finley. If they have to trade one of the Big 3, it should be Nash (he's a free agent after next season, and if/when he re-signs, it would be in the $9-10 million range annually .... which coupled with Van Exel's contract at about $9 million per, would mean that the team is paying nearly $20 million per for two point guards -- and even Cuban probably wouldn't do that, would he?

Personally, I think Nash is a better player than Van Exel, so in a perfect world, they should trade Nick for a big guy. But given Nash's current salary of $6 million or so, and the fact that a team could create cap room by letting him walk at the end of the season, he becomes a more attractive commodity for potential trade partners. Think they could get Brad Miller for Nash? He's not a huge scorer, but he can score enough to keep other teams honest with their interior defense, and he'll plant anyone who drives the lane in the floor. He also will rebound and block a shot once in a while. To make the money work, the trade might have to include Raef LaFrentz and a guard from Indiana, but I'd make that trade in a minute, since it would be harder to trade Van Exel.

Josh Howard will surprise a lot of Mav fans. He is fiercely competitive, and he's one of those guys who wants the ball with the game on the line. Extremely confident and poised. Pretty good defender, too.
The Q
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:01 pm

Here is the skinny.
The Mavs will sign Zo with the 4.9 million exception. Then the blockbuster, Nash and Raef or Avery to the Nets for Kidd.
How would this starting lineup sound:
Kidd, Van Exel, Fin, Dirk, Zo....then have Eddie, Howard, and Raja come off the bench.
Bring on the Lake Show, Spurs, and Kings!!!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:58 pm

Not gonna happen. I'd definitely take Kidd for Nash though. As much as I love the little guy, he's just not a scorer.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Up » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:06 pm

Finley is a minimal defender, and Van Exel and Dirk don't defend at all. Even with the addition of 'Zo, who is a great defense/rebounding presence, I'm not sure they're any better defensively under LA_Stang's proposal.

And part of what makes Dirk so great is that he's playing small forward. Do you really want him facing power forwards now? He wouldn't have as lopsided mismatches as before.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Return to Basketball