PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

\"Q\" update

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

\"Q\" update

Postby Stampede » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:50 pm

Looks as if there are at least 5 NBA teams desiring to sign Q at this time. Utah, Atlanta, Dallas, LA Lakers and Milwalkee.

Some are giving a garunteed contract and roster spot for two years. Q was smart to advise the teams he would play in Europe for a year should he be drafted any lower than 40th in the NBA draft. Otherwise, he would sign for the NBA minimum for three years...instead of a present two year contract.

Things are really good for Q right now and he deserves all the attention. He is the consumate example of "student athlete".
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Re: \"Q\" update

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:43 pm

Good for Q. He deserves all goods things.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MustangKurt20 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:47 am

Kudos to him! He is very deserving. A very unassuming and modest guy. As much as I'd see him land in Dallas, I doubt this is the place that would give him the best chance of getting on the roster! However, if the Mavs could convince him to be on the roster and be a practice squad type guy, I think he could grow into a solid pro!

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby PG » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:35 am

He's going to play for the Lakers' summer league team. It's a pretty good situation for him since they just declined the option on Horry's contract and aren't going to re-sign Shaw or Murray either. Rick Fox is coming off a fairly serious injury as well. If he can knock down some open shots and play solid D, he has a shot. I guess I'll have to be a Lakers fan now...except when they play the Mavs.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:24 pm

The Lakers could be a good fit for Q. The only true SGs on their roster are Kobe and Kareen Rush. Phil Jackson would love Q's work ethic and team play.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:40 pm

Q-Ross played in his first summer league game for the Lakers' summer team (coached by former Mavs coach and current Laker assistant coach Jim Cleamons). Ross was unimpressive: No points on 0/1 shooting; 1 rebound; 2 fouls in under 6 minutes of playing time.

But the Lakers did beat the Mavs' summer league team in the process.

Correction: This was Ross's second game. Though the first game was only slightly better: 0/3 shooting; no points; 3 boards; 1 assist; 1 foul in 12 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Dooby (edited 07-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dooby (edited 07-08-2003).]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangFan » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:01 pm

Thanks for the update, Dooby.
Where did you find the info? I couldn't locate it anywhere in the Morning News or on the internet....
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Dooby » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:04 pm

proexposure.com has boxscores for summer league games. The site is otherwise useless. Don't count on the site for posting boxscores timely, though.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:12 pm

Q's chances of making an NBA roster aren't looking good. Still looking for his first summer league point. On wednesday, he went 0/4, 4 rebounds, 5 fouls, 3 assists but 3 turnovers as well in 22 minutes.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:30 pm

Yikes. That doesn't bode well.
Good luck to Q
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PG » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:33 pm

I wouldn't worry about his scoring at all. I don't think the Lakers are looking for him to be a scorer at all. They have plenty already. I think they want him to be a solid defender and decent ball-handler. One of those "worker bees" that Fox/Horry/Shaw/George have been for the last several years.

I actually watched the first half of that game on NBA TV and he looked like he was really concentrating on his defense. He also did some ball-handling. His shots weren't there simply because he doesn't get the ball in a position to shoot. Let's face it: everyone on that team is looking for a gig somewhere so when they get the ball, they are going to try and make something happen. I think he was holding his own, despite what the box score might say.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby PG » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:16 am

Just finished watching the Lakers-Rockets game on NBA TV and Q had a fantastic game. He was into it at both ends, racking up 15 points and 5 boards. He continues to play solid D and run a little point. He looked a lot more comfortable out there. At one point he was out there with Kareem Rush, Janeero Pargo, Luke Walton and Brian Cook. All of them will be on the Lakers roster this season.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:22 pm

Ross put up another O'fer in the summer leagues on Saturday against the Clips. 0/3 shooting; 2 points; 2 boards; 1 assist; and 7 turnovers.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:37 pm

I don't know if all of them will make the roster, PG. With the impending additions of Gary Payton and Karl Malone, that means two more bodies have to be cleared out of LA. We know Robert Horry and Brian Shaw aren't going to be back, and I assume they're going to try to jettison a couple other stiffs off the bench. But with Cook and Walton definitely making the team, it might get crowded for our man Q. I hope I'm wrong, of course, because nobody deserves success more than he does. And if he doesn't latch on with the Lakers, hopefully someone else will pay attention to how good a player he is.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Stampede » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:18 pm

Remember, you heard it here first. The Lakers really like Q and have really been impressed wioth his work ethic and defense. Wanted to take him in the draft....but when Walton slipped, felt they msut take him.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball