PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How has Dement not been to the NCAA with SMU?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How has Dement not been to the NCAA with SMU?

Postby hahaha » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:17 pm

In the past 3 years, Dement has had 2 pro style players( Sasser and Willie), one top 10 recruit( Hopkins), a load of other talented players( Ross, Isham, etc). Yet he has never led you guys to anywhere near the tournament( in fact, he has only lead you guys to one NIT). I am sorry, but that guy is terrible...
hahaha
Recruit

Re: How has Dement not been to the NCAA with SMU?

Postby OldPony » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:34 am

Go away Troll. What exactly is a "pro style" player? Someone who plays pro ball in Mexico? Europe? One who gets 1-2 minutes a game after 2 years as an NBA'er?
The fact that we haven't had more than 2 players even of this caliber on the team at once is also "hidden" in your stupid post.
I assume you are a TCU grad. We are moving up. Froggies are on the way down.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Southland » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:59 pm

I'm no troll, and you have to agree that sooner or later Dement needs to produce post season appearances...

0 NCAA bids
1 NIT bid
0 Post season wins
0 Conference championship game appearances
0 wins v. Top 25
sub 35% winning percentage on the road
3-12 v. TCU

If I was to announce that you can have a coach, who will perform over an 8-year stretch like this, you'd probably pass...

I say we give Dement a decade, but no more if he fails to reach the NIT over the next two seasons.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:09 pm

with 3-4 upperclass starters returning (assuming Simpson, Castro, Isham & Lowe could all start), this team had better compete for the NIT and Dement better find another impact recruit for 2004-5 or I do believe his days could be numbered. The "commitment" talks about an expectation that we will field post season teams in football and bball. I fully expect this team to reach post-season play by the 2004-5 season when Dement will have a veteran squad that will feature guys who have played together 2-3 yrs.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:20 am

Clearly, because Dement sucks, troll. Now get off the board.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby hahaha » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:04 pm

Why because I speak the truth? I think SMU is terrible, but I will be the first to admit that SMU has had its share of talented b-ball players...It should have AT LEAST made the NIT Sassers senior year and should have madde it AT LEAST to the NIT last year...
hahaha
Recruit

Postby OldPony » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:00 pm

Yes- Sasser's senior year we should have made it but if you remember, Sasser was like a 20% shooter down the stretch when we had a chance. To think we should have made it last year is a stretch.That was a best case scenario. Ross was the real deal but he was surrounded by sophs and a freshman. They had an outside chance IF Bhop had lived up to rep. For various reasons, he didn't. He is still the question for next year. IF he plays-like the prize recruit he was should play-we have a good chance to get to post season. The cast will be better this year even with the loss of Q. Simpson, Castro, Isham, Bhop and the Rack should all make bigger contributions. Others who got a lot of PT last year should also be better. I am on board with any who think Dement should go if no postseason this year. At this point, something needs to change if he can't do it. He does deserve this year though. He has represented SMU well and has rebuilt a disaster to at least mediocrity. He continues to get decent material with some admin hamstrings. I really think he has done about as well as could be expected but it may take a new coach to extract some promises from the admin re new facilities and even more helpful would be a new jock friendly major which would allow for JC credits to transfer.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:38 pm

At least we beat UNT and TCU last year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:28 pm

Yes- But that's not a very high hurdle. We need some quality OOC wins to be in the dance and about 19-20 wins just to get to the NIT (unless we pull a big OOC upset).
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:08 pm

hahaha is saying what many of us are feeling, in that we'd like to see the Ponies in the NCAA one of these days. But anyone who lists Willie Davis ahead of Quinton Ross doesn't know much about SMU hoops.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Basketball