PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU should clean up its act in recruiting...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU should clean up its act in recruiting...

Postby Peruna's Pal » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:04 am

if they want to be considered by a new conference. Word of the street from other Div.1 coaches (Big 12) is that "TCU does not have any rules" and "nobody in the admin office cares about it".

Institutional control is BIG on the NCAA list and they better look at TCU because they have NONE. Zero, zilch....nada.

How in the heck did someone not know about driving a recruit(signee) out of the county for a visa? Even the most juvenile of coaches know you can not drive a kid out of the county.....much less the COUNTRY. Good lord , clean it up.

You don't just snatch a kid froma prep school and beat Marquette, DePaul and such without making them mad about the way the recruit ended up at TCU. They must know something the rest of us don't. nOw exactly who snitched on TCU about the visa?
Peruna's Pal

Re: TCU should clean up its act in recruiting...

Postby Hal » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:37 pm

Somehow I don't see that assistant sticking in Fort Worth. Coach Dougherty - like every head coach - has enough things to worry about without having to babysit an assistant coach who doesn't know even the most obvious of rules. I think Coach Dougherty should do a good job in FW if he's given the time to put his fingerprints on that program, but a move like this definitely doesn't help.
Hal
Varsity

Postby Johnny Rock » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:37 pm

Who cares if TCU bends the rules, cheats, or whatever you want to call it. There are too many posters on this board who talk about TCU too much. Who cares what they do? I personally with them the best in athletics. They made hugh commitments to their football and basketball teams several years ago. We did not. Consequently, they have won and we have not. I respect TCU for what they have done. Many of SMU's supporters need to start looking in the mirror and at the administration's lack of commitment to our athletic programs and quit trying to compare ourselves to TCU. They go to bowl games and win and to the NCAA tournament. We do not. Ask yourself why and then try to get an honest answer out of Turner or Copeland or our coaches. (This e-mail is not intended for Bennet or his coaches. They are the best thing to happen for SMU in a long time)
Johnny Rock

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:26 pm

NCAA tournaments? TCU? Nah. While Slick Willy Tubbs owned Dement head to head, SMU generally finished better in the WAC for several years since the early Sasser days. And last year SMU won the head to head and also had a more respectable season than the Frogs. Doughtery is a concern though, he will improve them. Just like Bennett will improve SMU football and all the Frogs know it, but most wont admit it.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TCU_backer1 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:01 pm

What school has not violated an NCAA rule, not matter how miniscule it is? Come on. TCU has nothing against SMU. If you would make a commitment to your athletic programs, you could talk. Until then, work on building your program and catch back up to TCU so you might can get a bid for CUSA!
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:38 pm

Which program? We beat you in basketball last year. As far as football is concerned, I think the committment there is showing. New coach, new stadium, reasonable recruiting rules, and did I say the best non-BCS recruiting class last year. Hopefully it will show up big time in November against that group of Barneys that we play every year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball