PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU and Hop get pub in The Weekly Word

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU and Hop get pub in The Weekly Word

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:57 pm

Below the Baylor/Bliss story, SMU is mentioned quite a bit in Andy Katz's Weekly Word about being left out of the 2004 Bracket Buster to Hop being the best player in the WAC to the October games in Canada. BTW, I had no idea Dirk almost went to Cal??

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1585572.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1585572.html</A>
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU and Hop get pub in The Weekly Word

Postby Dark Horse » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:43 pm

I think we're all eager to see BHop healthy. They hype couldn't have been that overblown - I'm ready to see him tear up the league.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:09 pm

Interesting article. That's got to be tough, trying to recruit with all of this.

And Bhop, let's hope he comes out this year with something to prove. I have high hopes based on that single thunderous follow-up dunk he had in the final WAC tournament loss last year, that made Sportscenter (no small feat for a Mustang). A hint of things to come?

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 07-28-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:49 pm

How on earth was Rice tabbed for the bracket buster over us?

What a joke.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:16 am

Not sure why you think that's a joke. Rice had the same conference record as us, 11-7, and a better overall record by 2 wins last year. They beat Colorado, Tulane, and played Stanford pretty close on the road in OOC. We had zero quality OOC wins.

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:27 am

I'm not sure why Hop would be named as possibly the best player in the WAC. I guess anything is possible but he has shown no reason to gather those types of quotes yet. Hopefully, with him healthy and IF he is working hard this summer, we might find a reason to shout about him. Last year, he showed some flashes but he couledn't have started for many really good teams like say UT or KU or OU just from the BIG 12.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:37 am

Like I have said MANY times, Bryan was injured last year. Yet, he sucked it up and played. I'm sure he appreciates your support, OP??? And your right, he would not have started for those schools you mentioned, because he would have been red-shirted.
Why do you say "IF he is working hard," do you know something we don't? Everything I have heard is that Hop is playing everyday and getting closer to his old self. OP, you can hold off before you start shouting about Hop, but I know what he is capable of, and apparently so do the EXPERTS at ESPN.

LA_Mustang

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:59 pm

We all want to see BHop succeed in a big way. He knows that he needs a break through year if he wants to go to the NBA. We did beat Rice what three times last year? When making out a bracket buster roster you should at least look to head to head competition as the first criteria if standings are identical. Also we did make it to the Tournament semifinals. One other question, when will NCAA sanction Fresno and will they have a television ban? If they do, will that change the Bracket Buster line-up?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby The CPC » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:16 pm

No, SMU beat Rice twice last year.

CPC cant say for certain what The Bracket Busters decision was based on, but it was probably a combination of things, including how the team finished last year (Rice higher in RPI and Sagarin rankings) who they have coming back, who they lost (Quentin Ross), their recruiting class, home attendance and season ticket numbers, etc. It probably wasnt one single factor.

The NCAA has been known to take its sweet time when it comes to handing out penalties, it likes to keep some schools twisting in the wind. Rumor has it they will throw the book at Fresno because the violations occurred under Tark, penalties could be harsh. But, if they wait too late to announce the penalties, it may not affect the bracket buster. In October another school would have a hard time rearranging its schedule to take Fresno's place.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:53 pm

When our favorite Yard Bird says throw the book at Fresno, I start thinking the big one as in the butcher block, ie SMU football 87-88. Surely, they have retired that part of the NCAA penal code, haven't they CPC? I'm not sure if Fresno has any offenses over the past 5 years, but its hard to imagine they don't with Chris Herren et all.
Hoop Fan

Postby Eddie P » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:45 pm

Old Pony-

I like the fact that you mentioned three teams from which BHop could not have started and all of those teams sent their points to the NBA. (Granted, Hollis Price is still a free agent)

You've been consistently negative about BHop for a while and why do you always throw in that "IF he works hard to get back" nonsense? I've also questioned from where you derive these observations but you have never responded. Unless you're hiding somehwere in Moody where I can't see you, you would know that he is out with the rest of the boys remaining active.

Neverthless, although I don't know if BHop is the best player in the WAC, I will take Andy Katz's opinion over yours.

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:47 am

OP doesn't live in Dallas so is not informed as to workouts other than by this board. I have also made the same comment about Simpson and Castro. What I am saying is that it is too early to start talking about Hopkins being a Great Point. He was injured last year so that is not a negative except for the groin injury which many times comes from lack of stretching etc before a game/practice. Playing every day is only part of getting ready to be great. There are weights, agility drills and a lot of running. I don't know if he is doing these things or not nor do i know if his teammates are. I do know that the b'ball players at KU are. No one hopes more than I that Hopkins is all everyone seemed to think he was when he signed. There simply is no evidence to date that he is a great college player. Yes- he would have been redshirted at the schools I mentioned with his injury. Those schools also have histories of freshmen point guards who start and are outstanding in their freshman year. They have better supporting casts to work with but they also have tougher competition. I'm sorry that I am not convinced yet but convincing will come on the court not by Andy Katz who has probably never seen him play. I thought BHop played better toward the end of the year but was far from sensational. I see the Ponies at every chance and listen to the broadcasts of every game. I think this young man has a lot to prove before we can speak of him in the same category of a TJ, Hollis or Hinrich yet that is the way many on this board seem to describe him. This board needs a shot of reality occasionally yet I am still cheerleader enough to believe this team (if the players are nearly as good and motivated as we think) will be in postseason play this year..
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:59 pm

Well said, Old Pony. I too hope that Bhop can emulate those points you have mentioned.

I am currently in Cancun, so I have had a rare opportunity to talk with bball fans across the globe. It´s always good to hear what truly unbiased people(i.e. people not around the D/FW Metroplex) think about your program.

Also noticed these keyboards over here are a little different than in the US...although that could be a product of the beverages being servd to me at present.

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:53 am

Watch out for those pointy little umbrellas and swizzles. Those things could put an eye out. Have fun and let us know if others even know we have a decent program at SMU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:32 pm

watch for BHop to step it up a notch as a soph and spread the ball around like we haven't seen around here in a while. I look for a very balanced offense this year that should see 4-5 guys in double figures every night out.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball