PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Article about Dave Bliss & SMU Basketball

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Article about Dave Bliss & SMU Basketball

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:51 pm

Did Wright ever graduate or did he leave after that year? I'll never forget that basket he scored against the Tar Heels to make us #1 ranked for a day.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The CPC » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EastStang:
<B>Did Wright ever graduate or did he leave after that year? I'll never forget that basket he scored against the Tar Heels to make us #1 ranked for a day.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Graduate??????? Oh East, thats why you're one of CPC's favorite Mustangs, the humor never ends. Carl Wright couldnt spell the word "diploma" when he left SMU.

Do you also remember the ball he dribbled off his foot with timing running out against Texas Tech, with the SWC title on the line? Put a little mustard on that hotdog.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:49 am

Thanks, I think. Well, when you're 1800 miles away from Dallas pre-internet, you only get snippets of information. My recollection was that he didn't stay. I also recall after that great basketball against the Heels, we faded fast and that the rumors I heard were that Wright was one of the "problems". Its nice to hear confirmation of those facts.
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:19 pm

The guy was a great player but such a problem and head case that even John Thompson wouldn't take him.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:52 pm

Back then Thompson had Patrick Ewing, he could afford to be picky. Also, Georgetown had generally avoided problem kids. Iverson was probably the biggest risk Thompson took and he led the Nation in scoring. I think Iverson's period at Georgetown is what convinced Thompson that he was getting too old to do this anymore.
EastStang

Previous

Return to Basketball