PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

selective investigating and enforcement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

selective investigating and enforcement

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:55 pm

Obviously alot of people are reacting to the Bliss allegations with greater disdain for the 80's environment at SMU. Geez, did ANYONE really think SMU bball was squeaky clean in the 80s? Gimme a freakin break. Nevermind the fact that basketball got hurt pretty bad by the football DP, probably even disportionately despite no direct sanctions to the hoop program. And does anyone really believe that Miami, for instance, is without major transgressions today? A&M? Oklahoma football? Puleeeze. Its called selective investigation and enforcement. And the story about Bliss is most outrageous in that it blatantly shows the subjectivity of NCAA investigators. If they winked at Bliss and his program, do ya think maybe, just maybe, they apply their "judgement" quite often out in the field? Boy, I wonder what they choose not to bring to light at Alabama and Michigan. Steve Fisher knew every bit of what key boosters were doing as Bliss probably did and only a fool would believe otherwise. Michigan had to take some banners down in their arena, which is a complete joke.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: selective investigating and enforcement

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:45 pm

No, not selective memory at all. A lot of people heard rumors when he was here, but it's just now becoming public.

s

[This message has been edited by Hoss (edited 08-04-2003).]
Hoss
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:02 pm

I didnt say anything about selective memory. I said selective enforcement. Regardless, paying players or any NCAA rule has absolutely nothing to do with one player shooting another in the head. They are on a witch hunt for Bliss now and the yellow belly journalism is pretty disgusting.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:41 pm

Baylor also miht be the easiest target for the NCAA to investigate if they want to send the Big XII a message. They can't/won't fight back like the big boys can/would.

I feel bad for Bliss & Baylor, trying to compete in the Big XII. Bliss was hired with the expectation that he would make that program competitive in one of the best bball conferences in the country. Is it any surprise that he recruited some kids of questionable character i an attempt to compete? After all, the top studs aren't lining up hoping to get an offer from Baylor! The Bears should be competing in the same conference with TCU, SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, etc...

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 08-04-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Postby No Cal Pony » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:05 pm

Agree with you CP. Think that if Clements had still been gov. when the SWC went down that it would be SMU not baylor in the big 12? We all know that bayor only made the cut because of politics, and gee, doesn't that sound like what just occured with the acc?

Let us just keep our program moving ahead without any bs. We all know the big $$ schools are going to get off scot free. Some things will never change as long as the ncaa remains a joke.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>They are on a witch hunt for Bliss now and the yellow belly journalism is pretty disgusting. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say what's disgusting is the fact that the media fell short when the transgressions allegedly were taking place. To say that what may or may not have happened 20 years ago is reaching.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:48 pm

Look at it this way... the penalties on the football team MORE than made up for anything that may have been going on in the basketball program.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:18 pm

If you don't think the b'ball program was punished, you haven't been paying attention. Shu and Dement have had to operate under the same foolish recruiting standards that f'ball did after the DP.
This is a time for someone at SMU to take the PR reins by the horn and talk about the culture today ie turn every question of what happened to what we are doing now . Say the percentage of athletes who now go to "big time" programs couldn't qualify at SMU and others who do it right. How we have turned the athletic program around and are rebuilding with student athletes who graduate- not like a UT, Louisville, OU etc which are not recruiting students or graduating athletes. Point out that it is being done despite BCS schools whp are trying to run all others out of D-1. We should have Copeland telling the world how the reform has made SMU a great student athlete experience again despite all odds. I hope you get my drift.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball