PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

big 12 news?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: big 12 news?

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Sigh. We made it out of the C-USA death spiral because of our four football bowl games and thus modest national exposure. I'm sorry, but June Jones played an enormous role in getting us a Big East invite. Which got us Larry Brown, which was the best hire ever.

But totally agreed it'd have been sweet to have hired Chad earlier. In hindsight after our 2012 Hawaii Bowl spanking of Fresno.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Sigh - whatever. Larry Brown saved SMU athletics. June Jones would have killed us if he hung on any longer. We are very fortunate that sticking with JJ didn't put the final nail in the SMU athletic coffin.

I am not interested in getting in a protracted argument about it so however you respond and I know you will, I am not getting sucked in.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby smupony94 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Ponyboy still an idiot
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:00 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:15 pm

smupony94 wrote:Ponyboy still an idiot

You're too kind
SoCal_Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:20 pm

What's up, SoCal? I hope things are well with you.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 pm

I'm doing great LA.

Not traveling as much to SE Asia, just staying put here in beautiful SoCal.

Solid post about LB saving us. He proved what so many of us have been saying for years, SMU is special.

Hope you are doing well. Maybe we can catch a game this year at Moody or Ford.
SoCal_Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:51 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:I'm doing great LA.

Not traveling as much to SE Asia, just staying put here in beautiful SoCal.

Solid post about LB saving us. He proved what so many of us have been saying for years, SMU is special.

Hope you are doing well. Maybe we can catch a game this year at Moody or Ford.

Good to hear. At some point this spring I have to return to LA to handle some business. We should grab lunch. I'll pm you when I have a better idea of when I'll be there.

As for a game, just let me know, I'm in.

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am

smupony94 wrote:Ponyboy still an idiot

I hope you were drunk when you posted that. Absolutely ridiculous.

You're a well informed and intelligent guy. I'd like to know what part of what I posted you disagree with.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 am

Treadway21 wrote:Larry Brown saved SMU athletics. June Jones would have killed us if he hung on any longer. We are very fortunate that sticking with JJ didn't put the final nail in the SMU athletic coffin.

I pretty much agree with that from a high level perspective. LB has been huge, just huge to our bball program and as a face of Mustang athletics. And, yes, JJ was a poison from the ASU debacle onwards. We should have fired him immediately, had we been able to raise the funds to do so.

I just apparently differ from the crowd in that I recognize that JJ really did earn credit for a nice turnaround that got us to the bowl games. And that he raised us in the public eye to the point where we got a Big East invite.

But, yes, poison from 2011. Should have fired him. He didn't earn his paycheck. Well, maybe he earned it to 2012 because he did kick serious tail in that Hawaii Bowl game against Fresno.
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 am

ponyboy wrote:hope you were drunk when you posted that. Absolutely ridiculous.

You're a well informed and intelligent guy. I'd like to know what part of what I posted you disagree with.

I'm not speaking for 94, but I'll bet it is because you still defend JJ at times. That rubs hardcore SMU fans the wrong way. I think everyone acknowledges that JJ did some good things his first few years at SMU, but there is no debating he absolutely quit doing his job or caring at the most critical time in our school's athletic history. Many, including myself, will always have a hard time forgiving him for that.

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:46 am

ponyboy wrote:I just apparently differ from the crowd in that I recognize that JJ really did earn credit for a nice turnaround that got us to the bowl games. And that he raised us in the public eye to the point where we got a Big East invite.

Again, he did a good job of making us respectable for a few years but I would not call it a turnaround by any means. And stop with the bowls talk. Under the bowl setup while JJ was at SMU, Rossley, Cavan and Bennett would have all had SMU in a bowl game. And don't forget JJ only beat two P5 schools in seven years at SMU (Pitt who fired their coach the week prior and Wash St, arguably the worst P5 school at the time)

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 am

ponyboy wrote:
Treadway21 wrote:Larry Brown saved SMU athletics. June Jones would have killed us if he hung on any longer. We are very fortunate that sticking with JJ didn't put the final nail in the SMU athletic coffin.

I pretty much agree with that from a high level perspective. LB has been huge, just huge to our bball program and as a face of Mustang athletics. And, yes, JJ was a poison from the ASU debacle onwards. We should have fired him immediately, had we been able to raise the funds to do so.

I just apparently differ from the crowd in that I recognize that JJ really did earn credit for a nice turnaround that got us to the bowl games. And that he raised us in the public eye to the point where we got a Big East invite.

But, yes, poison from 2011. Should have fired him. He didn't earn his paycheck. Well, maybe he earned it to 2012 because he did kick serious tail in that Hawaii Bowl game against Fresno.

You realize Tulane got a big east invite too, right?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am

ponyboy wrote:I just apparently differ from the crowd in that I recognize that JJ really did earn credit for a nice turnaround that got us to the bowl games. And that he raised us in the public eye to the point where we got a Big East invite.

I really do get where you're coming from about the wins, I'd just recommend giving up trying to get others on this board to agree to give Juneses credit. And for the record, I'm on the other side. From Day One, he was poison. Remember his sidekick asking in the first month how they could get rid of that stupid little pony? Remember the Tortilla Tech geldings? Remember the head coach of a school in Dallas, Texas insisting on wearing leis every damn game? Remember him pretending that blue wasn't a school color? Remember the complete lack of outreach to students or the larger university community? All poison, and all there from Day One.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 am

I guess I was willing to overlook some of his unusual personality characteristics because I was so desperate to win. Getting rid of Peruna and being generally ignorant about some of our traditions? Yeah, that's annoying.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball