PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jon Koncak

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jon Koncak

Postby 50's PONY » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:07 pm

Posted on Sat, Aug. 16, 2003

Not for public consumption
By Jon Koncak
Special to the Star-Telegram

I want to comment on the events of 1988 after the Southern Methodist University football team received the "death penalty" from the NCAA.

My involvement was brought to light by a memo obtained by the Star-Telegram and reported in a sports story ("Bliss left SMU after inquiry, memo shows," Aug. 2).

SMU President A. Kenneth Pye contacted me shortly after the death penalty was imposed. I was playing for the Atlanta Hawks at the time, and Pye asked if I would discuss any knowledge I had about NCAA rules violations during my time at SMU. He said in our phone conversation that any information would be held strictly confidential.

I was very reluctant to comply, but Pye guaranteed me that this interview would be for his eyes only to help him restore SMU's reputation. I had a two-hour interview at my Atlanta home with a representative of the Southwest Security and Investigation Co.

After reading my interview, Pye told me that he had a moral and ethical obligation to forward my interview to the National Collegiate Athletic Association. He sent the investigator back to Atlanta with an affidavit for me to sign.

I told the investigator that my comments for Pye were confidential and that he shouldn't need me to sign an affidavit. I did not sign any document detailing my conversation with the investigator.

I refused any further interviews and did not have contact with anyone from the NCAA or SMU. I never met with or spoke to Robert L. Stroup III from the NCAA.

I have several points of contention with statements contained in the memo as reported in the Aug. 2 article:

• I did receive small cash gifts from George Owen, a booster who had ties to the basketball program, during my senior year at SMU.

• I never received cash or other benefits from Coach David Bliss or his staff during my four years at SMU.

• I have never met John Appleton, who was a booster from SMU.

• Bliss was not involved in the Carl Wright beer-on-the-bus incident. Coaches Doug Ash and John Underwood confronted Wright about having beer on the team bus after a game. Wright did not make a statement about his car and beer.

• Contrary to what was said in the memo, I was never contacted by the NCAA and did not miss several scheduled meetings to discuss my time at SMU. No scheduled meetings were ever set up.

• John Addison, a former SMU player, left the university because of personal issues, not because he thought the new players being recruited were thugs. I had a great relationship with all my teammates and do not consider any of them thugs.

• I was out of town from July 24 to Aug. 2. I spoke to Star-Telegram staffer Danny Robbins, the writer of the Aug. 2 story, on the evening of Aug. 2 after receiving a message to call him that was left on my home answering machine.

Bliss and his staff did a great job of molding our players into winners and fine young men. It is extremely unfortunate that private information regarding my interactions with a booster that was given to Pye almost 20 years ago to help in the rebuilding of SMU's reputation has been leaked to the media.

The ongoing tragedy surrounding Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy's death has placed this confidential information in the spotlight. I regret that this information has emerged at this trying time for Dennehy's family, Bliss and his staff, and Baylor University.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon F. Koncak, now of Jackson, Wyo., was a center on the Southern Methodist University basketball team. He was a member of the 1984 U.S. Olympic team and a second-team all-America pick as a senior in 1984-85.
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Jon Koncak

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:39 pm

No matter what anybody thinks, I liked Jon. A good player and good guy. He was my TA in Psych and was always friendly and helpful.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Thumper » Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:03 pm

I think I admire Koncak more now than I did before, and I always liked the guy in the first place. He admist that he broke rules, something many athletes (Chris Webber) deny even when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Koncak didn't have to write this letter, or even respond to the phone call. He sounds like a man who has a great deal of respect and admiration for Coach Bliss. He easily could have dogpiled Coach Bliss and said awful things about what may or may not have gone on during his playing career, yet he chose to be honest and up-front about it.
What's particularly impressive is that he keeps the current spotlight in perspective, with his comment of his concern for Dennehy's family, Coach Bliss and his staff and Baylor University in general.
Koncak might not have been a perfect citizen, but he has owned up to his mistakes publicly and seems genuinely regretful for the way things transpired all those years ago. He sounds like a very admirable guy.

(Anyone know what he's doing in Wyoming?)
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:38 am

Essentially retired. Involved in baseball and basketball with his sons.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:37 pm

jon is a standup guy...after reading that letter i can't blame him for taking the stance he did...good for him!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Basketball