PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

baylor assistant fired. any lawyers comments?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

baylor assistant fired. any lawyers comments?

Postby bubba pony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:08 am

<A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1605393&partnersite=espn" TARGET=_blank>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1605393&partnersite=espn</A>

can he sue for retaliation?
bliss was covering up a murder by distorting the facts.
bubba pony
Heisman

Re: baylor assistant fired. any lawyers comments?

Postby Waz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:15 pm

Scott Drew is doing what any coach in that situation would do, remove any connection with the past. Nothing abnormal there. Rouse's career as a college coach is pretty much over unless he has a mentor. Right or wrong, no boss wants to hire an employee that they know has secretly taped conversations in the past. What do you do, pat him down everytime you have a meeting? Perhaps a military career or law enforcement will afford some opportunities.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:23 pm

Would you want this guy on your staff? Drew just cleaned house as I would have done. My guess is that the guy will never get a good gig again. The guy was standing up for his beliefs but.....No good deeds go unpunished.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:43 pm

Drew has every right to hire his own staff. Very rarely do assistants get offers from the new coach. If the guy has a contract with Baylor, they have to honor it. Otherwise, last time I checked, employment was at will. If the press likes him so much, maybe he can get a job in broadcasting.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StangEsq » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:08 am

I would want him on my staff if:
(1) he were a good coach;
(2) my program were clean; and
(3) i didn't have anyone else in mind that i wanted to be in that position that i knew, respected and trusted and who was available.
My guess is that the third reason is why Rouse is gone.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:12 am

Hey SportsLaw - what's your take on this? Can the fired assistant sue? Or should he have known this was the inevitable outcome, and thereby should have kept his mouth shut to remain employed?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:25 am

Rouse would have to prove that the cause of his firing was retaliation for blowing the whistle. The mere fact that one occurred after the other does not mean that Baylor fired him because of his taping. In fact, the evidence would probably show a legitimate reason for his firing, and thus no retaliation: the new coach hired a new staff.
(1) Drew was probably promised that he would get to make decisions on assistants.
(2) All of the former assistants were gone, not just the one who blew the whistle.
(3) It is normal and customary for a new coach to hire new assistants.

These facts tend to undermine any claim of retaliation.
DiamondM
Heisman

Return to Basketball