PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pre Season NIT

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pre Season NIT

Postby Waz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:28 pm

Was checking out the field for the pre season NIT and it isn't surprising we are not strong contenders for the post season NIT when we aren't regarded in the same breath as such current powers and participants as; Ga State, Yale, Vermont, Missouri @ KC, Davidson, St Francis, Hofstra, Marist and Massachusetts. These giants of the hardwood posted a stellar 121-140 record last year, helped out by Vermonts career year of 21-12. Oh yes, our program has improved immensely in the last several years.

On a positive, The Pony's were 17-12 vs "The Spread" in 02-03. That should at least make RA happy.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Re: Pre Season NIT

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:02 am

The pre-season (maybe post season too) NIT is a basketball tourney in which they try to fix the schedule so that eastern teams end up in MSG for the finals. It has little to do with desevrving teams or basketball anymore. It is an attempt to mmake some money by getting the most popular teams in the NYC area to play there. Nothing else. They wouldn't invite the great eams from elsewhere if they didn't need them for a little bit of legitimacy.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Waz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:57 pm

Pre and Post Season NIT is certainly not what it used to be. The biggest draw in that mess is Bob Mckillop, Davidson's coach who used to coach at Long Island Lutheran HS. He must have 50-100 family members if Davidson makes it that far. Those teams won't draw flies to NYC.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:10 pm

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that SMU would draw better in NYC than the mid Atlantic and NE schools you listed? If so, I think you need to do some checking.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Waz » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:40 pm

No. I am saying that no one is going to watch teams with a combined 121-140 record and get excited about it. By the time the tourney gets to NYC, most or all of those teams will be gone anyway, so it becomes a moot point on attendance. UVermont, with their great year increased home attendance by 89% and drew less than 2K per game at home.

The preseason NIT is obviously on its last breath if this is the best field that they can offer. To my way of thinking, you might want to put together a better field and hope that at least the illusion of quality basketball will attract a few more people. At least w/ SMU you have the ability to market B-hop as a big time player. My real point is that the field stinks and we couldn't even get included in a field of such low caliber.

Vermont, with their career best record year had an 89% increase in home attendance and averaged less than 2000/ game. My guess is they wont draw any better in the Big Apple than they did in Burlington.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:14 pm

The Preseason NIT is not a big deal anymore...I for one don't really care SMU is not included. I think the Vancouver trip sounds like a good idea with the extra practice time...which they will indeed need with the frosh.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:32 pm

Your right PF. The Vancouver trip will allow Dement to play with the lineup without having to worry about a regular season loss. It will have no impact on our RPI. Thats a good thing becuase being in the WAC we cant afford any bad losses once the season starts. And those NW fools will be the first to find out what everyone else will soon, BHOP IS BACK!!!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:04 pm

I like the extra time better than the NIT too but that wasn't the point he was making. We get little respect so no invitations are forthcoming. Maybe this year we can start earning some kudos if BHop is nearly as good as he was touted. That is yet to be proven against college caliber players but I am trying to have faith in you guys who got to see him play a lot before the injury. My fingers are crossed. I look for solid improvment in BHop, Simpson, Rack and the IMan. Castro should also be a little better. This team needs one of the frosh to step up though if we are going to be a lot better. Does anyone have a feel for who that might be?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:14 pm

My guess is Pearson. He could be the new Kelley but even more aggressive on the boards. As I posted earlier, Dement has said that Pearson could become one of the better rebounders in the country.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball