PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Mob--Time for a Change

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Mob--Time for a Change

Postby Smulaw90 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:02 pm

I love the idea of LB being the Godfather. I love the idea of the Mob and saw the tshirts yesterday that said, "Join the Family." Clever.

But let's really take this somewhere fun. Funny tshirts that say, "Leave the NCAA, take the Connoli", " Never take sides against the family" (with inserted faces of Cronin, Ollie, etc..." When UH comes to town, signs that show Fredo wearing a UH shirt that with a caption saying, "I'm smart. Not like everybody says...."

I think it would be funny/creative and well spirited, if the student body interjected Mob references and humor into the games. Whenever I see our student body, I kinda laugh inside, because they're far from being SCARY or underground. Chip and Biff are not intimidating in Polo shirts.

What if 60-80 guys went and bought cheap suits, all dark, wore glasses and either slicked back their hair or wore fake wigs. Girls could wear the big wigs and slinky dresses. This would be their game attire. When I see Duke, they have their thing. Arizona State has the Curtain of Distraction. These things while corny and silly, add to the excitement of the arena.

Also, we need to anticipate Coach Jank one day becoming the Godfather and start giving him a related name.

Maybe something for the student body to consider. Personally, if I was a student, I would love the idea of dressing in character for a game. Provided of course, that I already had a hot girlfriend.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Re: The Mob--Time for a Change

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32 pm

The Mob needs some sort of formal leadership. That's the only way you'll ever get something that coordinated. It's [deleted] insane that it still doesn't.

If the aggies have their damn yell leaders, why can't we have Mob Bosses or something?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:41 pm

SMU has resistance to this for some reason...I would think they should have a MOB rep on the Student Life counsel, and the Athletic Department should have a budget to encourage spirited shenanigans from the Mob at our games. Since these are our glory years, we should make the most out of it from a growing life-long fan base and establishing traditions perspective.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusportspage » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Absolutely!
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:50 pm

smusic can speak to this much better than I can but he mentioned to me that even a non-traditional bball school like ECU had leaders in their student section who started chants and passed out props. It was an organized effort and well done.

I'm not sure if that kid of commitment from students is possible at SMU. So far, it doesn't appear so.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:51 pm

When you look at the insanity on TV that other student bodies put forth, we have a long way to go.

We are aided by a very cozy venue that amplifies noise beautifully but VISUALLY we have quite a ways to go.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:31 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote: When you look at the insanity on TV that other student bodies put forth, we have a long way to go.

Students were just beginning to get the idea and then... Nuthin'. Nobody has a beer in their hand anymore. Very milk toast/blasé group imitating The Mob. Very disappointing... for the players especially.
Bergermeister

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 pm

I think the athletic department coordinates/administers The Mob. There should be some serious conversations after the season (AKA next Monday) about how to improve what should be the bedrock of the basketball support.
I can't imagine Hart or any of the players would be happy with the low turnout of the last two games.
skyscraper

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:smusic can speak to this much better than I can but he mentioned to me that even a non-traditional bball school like ECU had leaders in their student section who started chants and passed out props. It was an organized effort and well done.

I'm not sure if that kid of commitment from students is possible at SMU. So far, it doesn't appear so.

SMU already funds about 16 students to lead cheers at the games, complete with uniforms, trips to away football games, bball tourneys, etc...the cheerleaders. I don't mean this as a sarcastic retort to your post. Instead, it made me realize "Is there a more outdated notion than cheerleaders?" They have canned 'cheers' that NO ONE cheers along with, other than "DEFENSE, DEFENSE", and "S-M-U, S-M-U." As a sport/activity it has become a performance, rather than a lead-the-crowd-into-making-noise thing. Does anyone at any school actually believe they can get the entire arena cheering along in unison, yelling "G-O, GO MUSTANGS GO, *clap clap clap*" and other similar cheers? Yet, there are they are at every game, every school across the country just kinda cheering and clapping along to themselves, and the crowd knows 'you don't cheer along WITH the cheerleaders, you just hear them do their thing because that's what they do.'
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:28 pm

SMUPhil wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:smusic can speak to this much better than I can but he mentioned to me that even a non-traditional bball school like ECU had leaders in their student section who started chants and passed out props. It was an organized effort and well done.

SMU already funds about 16 students to lead cheers at the games, complete with uniforms, trips to away football games, bball tourneys, etc...the cheerleaders. I don't mean this as a sarcastic retort to your post. Instead, it made me realize "Is there a more outdated notion than cheerleaders?" They have canned 'cheers' that NO ONE cheers along with, other than "DEFENSE, DEFENSE", and "S-M-U, S-M-U." As a sport/activity it has become a performance, rather than a lead-the-crowd-into-making-noise thing. Does anyone at any school actually believe they can get the entire arena cheering along in unison, yelling "G-O, GO MUSTANGS GO, *clap clap clap*" and other similar cheers? Yet, there are they are at every game, every school across the country just kinda cheering and clapping along to themselves, and the crowd knows 'you don't cheer along WITH the cheerleaders, you just hear them do their thing because that's what they do.'

I never in a 100 years thought I would see someone appear to be advocating getting rid of attractive girls in skimpy outfits dancing on the sidelines. This notion is almost un-American!
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Oh I get how it sounds like I'm anti-cute girls at sporting events (and believe me, I'm not), but it's just silly that the school probably pays tens of thousands of dollars per year to fund "cheerLEADERS", yet here we are wondering what SMU can do to get a student or group of students to LEAD CHEERS at basketball games.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

SMUPhil wrote:Oh I get how it sounds like I'm anti-cute girls at sporting events (and believe me, I'm not), but it's just silly that the school probably pays tens of thousands of dollars per year to fund "cheerLEADERS", yet here we are wondering what SMU can do to get a student or group of students to LEAD CHEERS at basketball games.

Something like this?

Sorry - I would have to stick with the SMU Pom Squad on this one...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm

I'll take the pom squad over those aggie doofuses any day, just pointing out the irony of "oh no, where will we find students to lead cheers".
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:59 pm

SMUPhil wrote:I'll take the pom squad over those aggie doofuses any day, just pointing out the irony of "oh no, where will we find students to lead cheers".

There are some things that the Pom Squad can't really do that the students can...

I can't imagine the Pom squad breaking into the following chants - though it would be pretty funny....

"You can't do that", "We want Froling", "Safety School", "Harvard Rejects", "Down the Leg", "Applebees", etc, etc
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Coach Jank shall henceforth be forever known as .... "The Conciliare"
ojaipony

Next

Return to Basketball