PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

anybody know Practice day/times?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

anybody know Practice day/times?

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:52 pm

this cooler weather has me in the mood to think roundball.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: anybody know Practice day/times?

Postby The CPC » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:08 pm

For the last 2 weeks they have practiced from 10:30-1 on Tuesday, and 1-3:30 on Wednesday. Wouldnt be surprised if it is the same next week, but dont know for certain. They leave for Canada a week from tomorrow.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:04 pm

I'm going to try and make the Wednesday practice. I want to get a feel for the new guys. Does anyone know if the Van. games will be on the radio? Also, will Josh Lewin be doing the games this year? I heard him give the Ponies and Hop a plug during one of the Rangers games last month.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:03 pm

LA - I don't know, but I would really doubt that the Vancouver games are on radio. Gonna try to make a practice also, if I go on Wednesday I'll introduce myself.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:31 am

Can anyone tell me if they are practicing from 1-3:30 today?? (Wed/8th)

<small>[ 10-08-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:02 pm

HF, did you get a chance to see either of the practices last week? If so, what were your thoughts?

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:28 pm

LA,I did make over to Moody, did you? I only saw about 20 minutes though. My impressions:

Big Men - Simpson has truly bulked up his arms. Looks alot stronger in the upper body. Lower body might still need some work, had a hard time getting jump shots over the Rack a few times, but that might be good news. Rack seems to be developing. Castro should be solid.

Backcourt - Hop didn't dunk, so I couldn't tell if the explosion was back. The most encouraging thing is that he looked like he and the whole team was having some fun that day. Voc looked more healthy than i expected. He was taking part fully in drills, unlike the past. No real new comments on Isham and Lowe. Miller looked healthy and was shooting pretty well. RHop was giving 100% effort as usual. There was a new walkon who I am not familiar with.

Freshman - As a group, the freshman are more physical than we have been in the past. We need that. Bennett is a strong 2 guard, he was shooting it well in practice too. If he keeps that up, he might see some playing time. Pearson is gonna be a nice player. Hes a physical 6-7 forward type that can run the floor which we really have been lacking. Most tournament caliber teams have 2 or 3 of this type player. He will help us in the future, but I don't guess he will get many minutes this year because Simpson will be on the floor all of the time and Lowe should occupy the 3 spot. Ideally, we would have a guy like Pearson at the 3 spot once he gets some experience. Looking down the road, next year we could have a starting lineup of Hopkins, Isham, Pearson, Simpson and Castro with Bennett and Rack first off the bench. With the experience they are gonna have, thats gonna be an exciting team.

Overall, I feel like we are a year away. This year we just need a couple of good wins to show progress and establish some big-game confidence.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:31 pm

I agree that we'll be better next year than this year. This year, though, is time to make a move into the NCAA tourney caliber teams. This is not a young team. This team is experienced with 4 starters back. Others got a lot of PT last year. It's time for Dement to show us what he can do. If he can't do something good this year, I don't want him back for next year. I believe he is a good coach but this year will tell a lot about him. Decent talent, experience and some capable players off the bench. Now or never, Mike.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:40 pm

HF, thanks for your report. I got the chance to see about 30 minutes of a practice and I had many of your same thoughts.

Bennett and Pearson both really impressed me. Like you mentioned, they seem to be more physically prepared than our previous freshman. Bennett has a good looking outside jumper and Pearson has a nose for the ball. During the drills and scrimmage Pearson always seemed to be around the ball on missed shots. I can see Dement using both early on.

Castro, Simpson, and Isham all looked like you would expect veteran upperclassmen to look. I think they will each have very solid years.
There was little doubt that this is Hop's team. He seemed more comfortable and happy to be out there. I believe the starting 5 will be Hop, Isham, Lowe, Simpson, and Castro with Rack, Bennett, Pearson, and Miller in the rotation. Rack has improved a lot. I would like to see him get the ball a little more. He hit a couple of 15 footers on the baseline with no hesitation.

With a healthy Hop and the most talent we have had under Dement I think this will be a very exciting season of SMU basketball.

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball