PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bruno Fernando

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bruno Fernando

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:Guys I think we should have delayed the post-season ban until next year.

Wouldn't have mattered. Yanick relation with him would have overrode that imo.

This is a pretty naive thing to say. He didn't choose SMU because of Yanick. All Yanick did was give him an opinion from a voice he respected.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:30 am

LA_Mustang wrote:http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/04/01/smu-now-top-15-recruiting-class-landing-four-star-big-man-bruno-fernando

Glad EJ is giving SMU at least some publicity at the DMN. Thanks for the link LA_Mustang.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:50 am

I guess recruiting wins are something we are going to have to get used to.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:28 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:Guys I think we should have delayed the post-season ban until next year.

Wouldn't have mattered. Yanick relation with him would have overrode that imo.

Be real and dig deeper. He didn't come here bc he admired Yanick. Who brought Yanick?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Larry managing to convince Yannick that BU wasn't a better offensive system for his skillset than SMU when it was?
PonyKai

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:08 pm

From what I have seen in the tournament SMU could be in the Final 4. That would have been a hogh point for the school.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:17 pm

There's plenty to look forward to. Hang Nic's jersey in the banners and hold on as Larry's assembling his team.
ponyboy

Postby Stangs1970 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:23 am

jimhagle wrote:
stangsup4 wrote:
Stangs1970 wrote:Can't wait, hope we get him. He is really good. I watched Bolden a lot and he looks pretty darn good comparing the two.

He should really set us up well.

Bolden is more advanced offensively but they are closer than the rankings indicate. Bruno should really be a top 75 recruit.

Well Bolden wasn't exactly a scoring machine in high school so I am not so sure about that analysis.

What are you saying Jim before I assume.

Bolden is damn good, that is why he will go to Kentucky or Duke. He is very good defensively and good offensively. He may even be a one and done. The video's posted on here showing Fernando are obviously highlight films but the guy looks pretty good in the post area in the highlights.I doubt he is at Bolden's level at this time, but can be and isn't light years off.

Dallas Morning News (challenging your "scoring machine standpoint," post someone in the post better!)

All the work paid off this season as DeSoto returned to the state tournament and went on to win the championship. Bolden averaged 21.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 4 blocks in the two state tournament games.

Stats: Bolden averaged 23.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game this season. He also shot 80 percent from the free throw line.
Did you know? Bolden is ranked as the No. 20 player overall in the 2016 class and No. 2 center, according to 247 Sports' composite rankings.
Stangs1970
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:12 am

Rebel10 wrote:From what I have seen in the tournament SMU could be in the Final 4. That would have been a hogh point for the school.

From what I've seen, Michigan St should plow through this field.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 am

Finally getting something for my little donations at SMU. Feels damn good too
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:44 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:Also, why are none of the other commits ranked on ESPN?? That no.14 ranking only refers to the 247 rankings

ESPN is a garbage recruiting service for not just basketball, but football as well. They just do it to televise announcements and crap.TMZSPN Please ignore them just stick to 247s composite and you'll get a well rounded assessment.

I like their write-ups. They don't have the breadth of other sites, but they have nice scouting blurbs. For example, on Bruno:

Strengths:
Fernando is a strong and physical post that runs the floor, finishes, area rebounds on both ends and protects the rim with his shot blocking. He is an above the rim finisher when he receives drop off passes created by dribble penetration. He rebounds with two hand snatches in traffic and blocks shots on and away from the ball.

Weaknesses:
Fernando will need to continue to develop offensively and work on making multiple efforts in the same possession.

Bottom Line:
Fernando is a high major center because of his size, athleticism, ability to finish above the rim with power, rebound and block shots at a high level. His production will improve as his offensive package develops. Fernando has excellent upside.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Jason are you stealing information from other sites again. Haha
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:12 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Jason are you stealing information from other sites again. Haha

:). Maybe they will cancel my subscription if I mention that Vitale is a blowhard, or if they find out I wrote a practice report two years ago for PonyFans! Or maybe not ;).
JasonB

Postby Lebanese4Life » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Rebel10 wrote:From what I have seen in the tournament SMU could be in the Final 4. That would have been a hogh point for the school.

i really don't know what i'd do without your constant and indispensable insight
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:39 pm

I remember a few months ago when the chatter around here was, "We're in the hunt for 3 quality bigs. Let's get 2 out of 3". Well, we got all 3, plus 2 strong guards from what I've heard. Pretty awesome.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball