PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lack of sanctions for UNC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lack of sanctions for UNC

Postby Pony^ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:21 am

could be blow to NCAA justice system:

HOUSTON — He offered that it was only a “personal opinion,” so there may be no particular reason to overreact to Roy Williams’ statement to ESPN reporter Andy Katz that he believes the University of North Carolina basketball program will not be hit by NCAA sanctions.

That would mean, if he is correct, that at the conclusion of the NCAA investigation into academic irregularities at UNC, the Tar Heels would not face any of the coach suspensions that have become common among NCAA punishments, not deal with any roster restrictions and, most importantly, not be restricted from postseason play at any time in the future.

If he is correct, fans of North Carolina's regional rivals and other schools competing for elite recruits and NCAA Tournament glory are going to go berserk.

And it is quite possible such a result would be a devastating blow to the very structure of the NCAA justice system.

So the charge was not leveled against the basketball program, but rather the university and its academic support service for athletes in regards to, in some instances, men’s basketball players. SMU just was booted from the 2016 postseason primarily over an academic fraud case involving one specific player. The NCAA does not appear to be dealing in the singular in regards to Carolina basketball.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4700782-unc-tar-heels-basketball-ncaa-possible-sanctions-roy-williams-north-carolina-investigation-academic-fraud
Pony^
All-American

Re: Lack of sanctions for UNC

Postby solomouse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Is there any student comment from duke,nc state,other acc teams,anyone...or it it just ponyfans and a few sportswriters...I don't hear much attitude from students..
solomouse
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 pm

@YahooForde 3m3 minutes ago
Louisville announcing additional self-imposed sanctions today, docking itself two scholarships, official visits, recruiting opportunities.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Trying all they can to keep pitino from getting any suspension
RGV Pony

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm

solomouse wrote:Is there any student comment from duke,nc state,other acc teams,anyone...or it it just ponyfans and a few sportswriters...I don't hear much attitude from students..

This is the current Duke discussion, but there are many others. Pack Pride (NC State) has a ton also.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/ ... The-HAMMER!
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 am

So an interesting argument that was being brought up there that I hadn't heard before was that UNC broke their contract with the players by not providing them an education. I'm not following this real close because I expect little to no punishment for UNC and I'm trying to not get worked up over how big of a [deleted] the NCAA has for us. But I think the broken contract is a good argument. Could it not bring a class action lawsuit against UNC from former/current student athletes?
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby PonyBait » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 am

ericdickerson4life wrote:So an interesting argument that was being brought up there that I hadn't heard before was that UNC broke their contract with the players by not providing them an education. I'm not following this real close because I expect little to no punishment for UNC and I'm trying to not get worked up over how big of a [deleted] the NCAA has for us. But I think the broken contract is a good argument. Could it not bring a class action lawsuit against UNC from former/current student athletes?

It could... but they all won championships and went on to be rich NBA players... so it won't
PonyBait
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Dexter Manley never sued Oklahoma State. 4 years there and couldn't read after he left. Darrell Green taught him to read when he joined the Redskins.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Digetydog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:29 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:So an interesting argument that was being brought up there that I hadn't heard before was that UNC broke their contract with the players by not providing them an education. I'm not following this real close because I expect little to no punishment for UNC and I'm trying to not get worked up over how big of a [deleted] the NCAA has for us. But I think the broken contract is a good argument. Could it not bring a class action lawsuit against UNC from former/current student athletes?

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... es-lawsuit

Last year, the lawsuit was filed.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NCAA would be at fault for UNC's decade of academic fraud.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby freqz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:59 am

Digetydog wrote:For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NCAA would be at fault for UNC's decade of academic fraud.

Lack of institutional control?
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 pm

freqz wrote:
Digetydog wrote:For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NCAA would be at fault for UNC's decade of academic fraud.

That's like saying the Dallas PD is responsible for every bank robbery that occurs.

In this situation, the liability for the fraudulent courses is 100% UNC's (and its employees) problem.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby freqz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Digetydog wrote:
freqz wrote:

That's like saying the Dallas PD is responsible for every bank robbery that occurs.

In this situation, the liability for the fraudulent courses is 100% UNC's (and its employees) problem.

Right *but* that's the catch all they (the NCAA) use to pound non-favored programs so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Unc should be barred from ncaa competiton all sports for one year. Is it that hard to decide that?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball