PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Allen Iverson on Larry

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Allen Iverson on Larry

Postby YouKnowIt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:57 pm

HOUSTON – As he sat and spoke about his feelings on being elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, former Philadelphia 76ers superstar Allen Iverson confessed he had yet to call former coach Larry Brown for a simple reason.

“The emotional part of me … you know what I mean … is why I haven’t spoken to him yet,” Iverson said. “Because I know that it won’t be a conversation. It’ll just be me crying. I know it. As soon as I hear his voice. I already know it.”

“I didn’t take constructive criticism the way I should have. To me, in my eyes, that’s the best coach ever. To me.

“God sent him to me and I was defiant at that time. But obviously you found out once I caught in and caught up to what I was supposed to know, that’s when I became the MVP. That’s when it went from just a talented player to the best player on planet Earth.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/allen-ive ... 00939.html
YouKnowIt
Recruit

Re: Allen Iverson on Larry

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:19 pm

What a treasure we have on the sidelines repping our school.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Orsini still thinks we should have hired Majerus
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:14 pm

I still have a hard time sometimes wrapping my mind around the fact that THE Larry Brown is our coach. It truly is amazing how quickly we have risen from the ashes because of him and I cherish every game that he is standing on our sideline.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mtrout » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Oldie but goodie from ESPN. You go ESPN.

It's hard to figure out how Orsini, who made an excellent football hire in June Jones, screwed up this hire so badly.

Perhaps he should've taken notes from TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte.

TCU men's coach Jim Christian resigned to coach Ohio University on April 1. A week later, LSU's Trent Johnson accepted Del Conte's job offer.

Neatly and nicely done.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/78 ... ing-search
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:28 pm

mtrout wrote:Oldie but goodie from ESPN. You go ESPN.

It's hard to figure out how Orsini, who made an excellent football hire in June Jones, screwed up this hire so badly.

Perhaps he should've taken notes from TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte.

TCU men's coach Jim Christian resigned to coach Ohio University on April 1. A week later, LSU's Trent Johnson accepted Del Conte's job offer.

Neatly and nicely done.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/78 ... ing-search

JJT needs to be less concerned about LB and SMU and more concerned about his hot wings.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Can someone please send JJT a thesaurus so he can find another word for "raggedy." I'm pretty sure it's in his top 5 most overused adjectives. He's an idiot. Probably born from idiots.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby The Falcon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks Allen - I often wondered how AI played like an individual instead of playing
as a team. He was a great talent but was a ball hog. He never met a shot he didn't
like. Was Larry successful in changing him? I didn't watch the 76rs enough to know
if that adjustment occurred but it sounds like maybe it happened late to AI if you
look at his words about Larry.

Thanks for being our coach Larry - you have made the past 3--4 yrs very entertaining
because of the ball sharing, the internal passing, and the team concept which you have
persuaded young men to adopt.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:16 am

Wow JJT -

Praises Orsini hire of June
Says LB one of worst hires in NCAA history
Wonders why we couldn't have gotten a great coach like TCU's Johnson

Was he trying to see how many ways he could be outrageously wrong in the same column?
gostangs

Postby No Quarter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 am

IMO coach Brown has one of the really admirable resumes (although I don't have to repeat it for Pony Fans): Olympic Team member, pro and college championships, HOF, and certainly the resurrection of hoops on the Hilltop. That's not mentioning the gentlemanly demeanor and apparent interest in his players as men.

I never participated in any organized sport and was always last to be picked on the playground and in the gym. For me it is hard to think how it would be to play for someone with those credentials.

GO PONIES.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:43 pm

No Quarter wrote:IMO coach Brown has one of the really admirable resumes (although I don't have to repeat it for Pony Fans): Olympic Team member, pro and college championships, HOF, and certainly the resurrection of hoops on the Hilltop. That's not mentioning the gentlemanly demeanor and apparent interest in his players as men.

I never participated in any organized sport and was always last to be picked on the playground and in the gym. For me it is hard to think how it would be to play for someone with those credentials.

GO PONIES.

you could have been picked up at some other playground or gym. Try short shorts.
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU89 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
No Quarter wrote:IMO coach Brown has one of the really admirable resumes (although I don't have to repeat it for Pony Fans): Olympic Team member, pro and college championships, HOF, and certainly the resurrection of hoops on the Hilltop. That's not mentioning the gentlemanly demeanor and apparent interest in his players as men.

GO PONIES.

you could have been picked up at some other playground or gym. Try short shorts.

OTP....is that your secret to success...LOL
SMU89

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:03 pm

SMU89 wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

GO PONIES.

OTP....is that your secret to success...LOL

Don't act like you don't know
One Trick Pony

Return to Basketball