PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another Duke Player?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Another Duke Player?

Postby friarwolf » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Derryck Thornton transferring........
friarwolf
Heisman

Re: Another Duke Player?

Postby Digetydog » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:04 pm

friarwolf wrote:Derryck Thornton transferring........

Coach K F'd him to get Bolden.

https://twitter.com/rwwilmington/status ... 5000385537

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /171527896
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 am

So don't think it is fair for any player or anyone to criticize Duke or coach K for this situation. When you are a blue blood program like Duke it should be understood that you are always at risk for being recruited over. If a recruit does not factor that into his decision he has bad advisers and is not thinking about it as an adult (which any high school graduate actually is). You either accept that and try and thrive under that situation or don't go there. Any 4 star level recruit that is going to require multiple years to realize their full potential and to possibly develop into a professional should go to schools that give good exposure, have great coaching, and they can likely compete (and win) for playing time for as long as they are there. There are maybe 5 true blue blood basketball programs that you can expect will always potentially recruit over someone don't go there if you aren't comfortable potentially becoming a role player.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:22 am

If he could transfer without sitting a year, I'd take him in a heartbeat. TX is closer to home after all.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am

Pony_Law wrote:So don't think it is fair for any player or anyone to criticize Duke or coach K for this situation. When you are a blue blood program like Duke it should be understood that you are always at risk for being recruited over. If a recruit does not factor that into his decision he has bad advisers and is not thinking about it as an adult (which any high school graduate actually is). You either accept that and try and thrive under that situation or don't go there. Any 4 star level recruit that is going to require multiple years to realize their full potential and to possibly develop into a professional should go to schools that give good exposure, have great coaching, and they can likely compete (and win) for playing time for as long as they are there. There are maybe 5 true blue blood basketball programs that you can expect will always potentially recruit over someone don't go there if you aren't comfortable potentially becoming a role player.

Recruiting over him was fine (unless Coach K promised something else), but forcing him out is different. Desperate for a good PG in 2015-16, they (allegedly) made promises to get him to reclassify. 1 year later, they "need" Bolden - #goodbye. Now, the kid loses a year of eligibility b/c he has to transfer. #BS
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:12 am

Coach K is so great. Beg borrow and steal the best players by any means necessary. Wow I'm impressed. Players make you look good.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Digetydog wrote:Recruiting over him was fine (unless Coach K promised something else), but forcing him out is different. Desperate for a good PG in 2015-16, they (allegedly) made promises to get him to reclassify. 1 year later, they "need" Bolden - #goodbye. Now, the kid loses a year of eligibility b/c he has to transfer. #BS

No, Duke has a scholarship available for Bolden because Justin Robinson already planned to go back off-scholarship next year (the Admiral can afford it). Duke was working to try to keep Thornton. Best of luck to him tho.

mtrout wrote:Coach K is so great. Beg borrow and steal the best players by any means necessary. Wow I'm impressed. Players make you look good.

Thanks for the word salad.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:24 pm

dookie
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Duke apologists make me laugh. They are so desperate to think they are any better than the Kentucky's of the world.

face it - to be competitive in the slippery world of basketball recruiting you have to also be slippery. Coach K and Duke are no different.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:18 pm

gostangs wrote:Duke apologists make me laugh. They are so desperate to think they are any better than the Kentucky's of the world.

face it - to be competitive in the slippery world of basketball recruiting you have to also be slippery. Coach K and Duke are no different.

Exactly! Coach K isn't Saint K!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Digetydog wrote:
gostangs wrote:Duke apologists make me laugh. They are so desperate to think they are any better than the Kentucky's of the world.

Exactly! Coach K isn't Saint K!

These posts are non sequiturs and strawmen. No one, especially me, is arguing that K is a saint. He does some things I absolutely can't stand. But at the same time, he is indeed a lot more ethical than Calipari. So is Larry Brown. And it's the purest form of uninformed Duke Hate to think that K wanted to run off his only point guard for next year.

You guys really hate Duke, and that's fine--it simply means Duke is really, really relevant. (No one hates UCLA anymore.) My hope for SMU, in one sense, is that the basketball success is long enough and deep enough that SMU generates similar feelings.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Although I hated Laettner back in the day, I have a ton of respect for what Duke has accomplished under Coach K. They are every private school's model for success in bigtime basketball. Don't we have several posters who graduated from Duke and SMU? BTW, the 30 for 30 on Laettner is great.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I don't hate duke. I just don't think they are special. They are exactly like every other big time program. They all cut corners and they all bend rules and yes, they are often not honest with their players.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:06 pm

I still hate UCLA.
smusic 00

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:51 am

Pretty sure we all do on this site. Bad school to use as an example
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer