PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another Duke Player?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Another Duke Player?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 am

They're all liars and cheats except us. LOL.

That being said, who here wouldn't want the Moody atmosphere compared to Cameron?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:01 am

Dukie wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
gostangs wrote:Duke apologists make me laugh. They are so desperate to think they are any better than the Kentucky's of the world.

face it - to be competitive in the slippery world of basketball recruiting you have to also be slippery. Coach K and Duke are no different.

Exactly! Coach K isn't Saint K!

These posts are non sequiturs and strawmen. No one, especially me, is arguing that K is a saint. He does some things I absolutely can't stand. But at the same time, he is indeed a lot more ethical than Calipari. So is Larry Brown. And it's the purest form of uninformed Duke Hate to think that K wanted to run off his only point guard for next year.

You guys really hate Duke, and that's fine--it simply means Duke is really, really relevant. (No one hates UCLA anymore.) My hope for SMU, in one sense, is that the basketball success is long enough and deep enough that SMU generates similar feelings.

1) I don't hate Duke. Frankly, I really only hate Penn State. I despise most SEC teams, but don't hate them.

2) "More ethical than Calipari" is not the ethical high bar that Duke pretends to hold itself to. Frankly, to set the bar lower, you would probably need to go for "more ethical than Dave Bliss."

3) Regardless of why this particular player decided to leave the program, I cannot help but notice the fact that Duke seems to run off 1-2 players every offseason. Since it holds itself out as a bastion of education (as opposed to lesser schools like UK) ...
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dwan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Calapari inst sanctimonious like Coach K. The whole episode with the Oregon player is Classic Coach K. He tells the player "hey you are better than that" and then claims he didnt say that at all and only after a camera catches him saying that does he admit he did. That is where the dislike comes from.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Coach K does not run off players. Players leave programs for all kinds of reasons. Rasheed Sulaimon (Maryland) was accused of rape. Ed McCaffery (Vanderbilt) wanted to be more of the focus of the offense, wanted to possibly play PG in the NBA, and was not going to be the starting point guard at Duke playing behind Bobby Hurley. McCaffery was definitely more of a 2 guard with above average handles who could fill it up (21ppg)
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Coach K does not run off players. Players leave programs for all kinds of reasons. Rasheed Sulaimon (Maryland) was accused of rape. Ed McCaffery (Vanderbilt) wanted to be more of the focus of the offense, wanted to possibly play PG in the NBA, and was not going to be the starting point guard at Duke playing behind Bobby Hurley. McCaffery was definitely more of a 2 guard with above average handles who could fill it up (21ppg)

If he doesn't "run them off" on purpose, he sure has a way of running them off by coincidence.

As a prior poster noted, people have a problem with Coach K because he is sanctimonious and because he pretends his program is "better" than UNC, UK, etc b/c it is not a basketball factory.

When everyone knows that Duke basketball is a basketball factory, their insistence on claiming that they are different is BS. It's time of Duke to admit it is no different from the other factory schools like UK and UNC.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Digetydog wrote:1) I don't hate Duke. Frankly, I really only hate Penn State. I despise most SEC teams, but don't hate them.

2) "More ethical than Calipari" is not the ethical high bar that Duke pretends to hold itself to. Frankly, to set the bar lower, you would probably need to go for "more ethical than Dave Bliss."

3) Regardless of why this particular player decided to leave the program, I cannot help but notice the fact that Duke seems to run off 1-2 players every offseason. Since it holds itself out as a bastion of education (as opposed to lesser schools like UK) ...

1) That's fine, I will take you at your word and am not interested in debating the semantics and possible distinctions between, e.g., hating and despising.

2) I was responding to a different poster who asserted that all big-time programs are "exactly" the same.

3) The key word here is "seems." Duke has had four transfers in the last five years (now at Maryland, Florida, SMU, and Syracuse). In that same timeframe, 11 of 14 other ACC programs have had as many transfers, and a majority of those have had more transfers.

Duke "seems" to have more because Duke departures are big news on ESPN. Wake departures are not.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm

smusic 00 wrote:I still hate UCLA.

Good grief, I can't believe I used them as an example without thinking about last March. Maybe it's a sign that my trauma over that theft is subsiding. But anyway, you know what I meant--they aren't Wooden's UCLA anymore.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Who would you rather have - this guy, or Moore (the Memphis decommit), recognizing there would be a timing difference.

Discuss
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Definitely would rather have Charlie Moore vs Derryck Thornton. And this is coming from a life-long Duke fan. Duke is a PG Factory... Bobby Hurley, Jay Williams, Chris Duhon, Kyrie Irving, Coach K and Staff tend to get the best out of their PG...not Derryck Thornton, sometimes this responsibility has to lie with the player and his ability or lack there of.

At times last year Thornton looked lost on the floor. Maybe with time Thornton will get better, but I would not want to take the risk with my SMU PG. Of course I have no idea how Charlie Moore's game will transfer to the college game. Just wishing and hoping that Charlie Moore sees the light (and the HUGE opportunity at SMU)... and wants to step into the big shoes of Nic Moore.

SMU in the FInal 4
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball