PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why doesn't Dement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why doesn't Dement

Postby i10pony » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:13 pm

ever put SMU in tournaments like the Top of the World Classic,Great Alaskan Shoot Out, or any of those other tournaments in Hawaii?
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Why doesn't Dement

Postby abezontar » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:34 am

Don't you have to be invited to those tournaments first?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby i10pony » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:54 am

I don't know? But Rice is playing in the Top of The World Classic this season. And SMU's bball program has been better than Rice the past 6 years.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby PG » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:40 am

It's pretty simple: those preseason tournaments generally invite the likes of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc. because they are on ESPN and basically made for TV. Top teams play against each other to get ready for the NCAA Tourney. I don't think SMU or any other no-name would interest the folks at ESPN a whole lot. This year, due mostly to a new rule, they top teams aren't in them (not sure of it exactly but it has to do with preseason non-exempt games).

If you want to talk tournaments in general, we have been in plenty over the last 6-7 years: Preseason NIT; one in Puerto Rico; the OKC All-College tourney; Iowa Hawkeye Classic; the Jim Thorpe Classic at UNLV. This year we are playing one in Padre as well as the Purdue Invitational.
PG
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball