PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Effect on APR?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Effect on APR?

Postby Pony_Law » Sat May 14, 2016 10:25 am

Between his Twitter and smu basketball it looks like MK didn't graduate. Can anyone explain how this impacts our APR?
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Re: Effect on APR?

Postby PonySnob » Sat May 14, 2016 10:37 am

Always tough to decipher

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

We need the players to graduate almost as much as we need them to play. I cannot imagine them not helping him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponypatrick » Sat May 14, 2016 11:57 am

PonySnob wrote:Always tough to decipher

MK was a classic underachiever both on the court and in the classroom. His effort never came close to
matching his mouth. He had tons of academic support, but he's just a lazy kid. LB did a great job turning
him into a good player, but with more effort he could have been great.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:11 pm

I am not going to trash a player that helped SMU win especially since he had other schools that he could have selected and decided to come here. I wish him the best in his future endeavors. Plus I believe he has 4 years to come back and get his degree per the NCAA APR rules. And it sounds like it might be just one class that he has to retake.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Atlantapony » Sun May 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Having just gotten back from graduation and with a son that got his degree in History, Marcus did not get his diploma. He was listed in the big commencement program but was not part of the History department ceremony. He was in a class with my son this semester that my son said he had to drop because he keep missing classes for basketball games. Shame that he did not get his diploma as in the history department they give a little speech about each graduate's accomplishments while at the school - would have been interesting to hear what they said about Marcus.
Atlantapony

Postby footballdad » Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 pm

At least he 'been learned never trust and always have another option.'
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:36 pm

I doubt he dropped because he missed classes for games. That's why we fly charter now. I took two classes (in the 90s) with the professor who was at the source of the previous (paper) problems and know him to be very fair to the students who showed up and did the reading. With all the resources thrown at our athletes, there is very little that would convince me they are the victims of the evil SMU system.
smusic 00

Postby Rebel10 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:09 pm

If you fly to UConn, USF, Temple, ECU etc on Wednesday night or Thursday morning for a game Thursday evening you can miss a Thursday class. It happens at every school even the ones that have charter planes. If it was one class that he dropped he can make that up and graduate sometime next year after either he has hopefully played a year overseas or in the NBA.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun May 15, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smusic 00 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm

So Nic, Jordan, and the manager all dropped classes, too? And every kid before when we flew commercial? The profs understand. The classes I mentioned above were African American history and were over half football and basketball players.
smusic 00

Postby Rebel10 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

smusic 00 wrote:So Nic, Jordan, and the manager all dropped classes, too? And every kid before when we flew commercial? The profs understand. The classes I mentioned above were African American history and were over half football and basketball players.

I am saying that you can miss a class even though you fly charter. Don't know if Nic, Jordan, or the manager had majored in History. Whatever the case since he dropped the class he can make it up in the next year or two. Everyone should be okay.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smusic 00 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 pm

No, he failed a class.
smusic 00

Postby smusic 00 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 pm

Not that he can't make it up, but it's not like the mean old professor wouldn't excuse his basketball absences.
smusic 00

Postby Rebel10 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:25 pm

smusic 00 wrote:No, he failed a class.

I thought he dropped the class like the poster said not failed it . Some professors understand and some that are anti athlete do not understand nor give any slack. Not sure which kind he had but that is water under the bridge now. Just has to retake the class over the next four years. Like I said I think SMU and MK will be okay in the end.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony147 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:44 pm

If you miss a class for an official university absence, the professor must let you make up any coursework. That's a university policy. No doubt that MK had private tutors accompany him on the trips the team took to help him keep up. With that being said, no amount of tutoring can make up what you miss in a lecture, especially if you are a student who struggles academically and the class consists of (probably) 2 or 3 exams based off lectures and readings and one or two papers.

If these basketball absences involve him preparing for the pros (and this is pure speculation), then he is on his own in regards of coursework.
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball