PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bruno no longer part of the 2016 class

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bruno no longer part of the 2016 class

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 pm

That will be very apparent when we get to see Semi on the floor. As for freshman bigs struggling, look at Myles Turner. He was very average for UT his one season and then played MUCH better his rookie year in the NBA. It takes time for some of these guys. If UT could've talked him into staying one more season UT would've been a beast in the tourney and he probably would've been a top 3 pick in this year's draft which cost him about 2 million per on his rookie contract.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed May 25, 2016 2:21 pm

WTF?

Recruiting is a sport within a sport. You win some, lose some. Sometimes it may be due to being out- played, or out-coached. Or maybe you have a bad game plan.

Recruiting is frustrating. As some far more familiar than I have mentioned, you are dealing with 17 and 18 year old boys. Well good luck with that.

Calling our recruiting efforts anything less than "improved" is absurd. We've been in it a whole lot more each year. We get some good ones.

I don't expect we'll be comparing recruiting classes with Duke and Kentucky any time soon but we will get a pluck one or two from the blue bloods now and then.

And YEAH... Can't wait to see Semi on the floor.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 25, 2016 2:22 pm

I can't believe there are a small handful who are upset and whining about the bball program.
This is the only worthwhile thing in SMU athletics post DP other than the creation of The Boulevard.
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:23 pm

LA_Mustang wrote: If UT could've talked him into staying one more season UT would've been a beast in the tourney and he probably would've been a top 3 pick in this year's draft which cost him about 2 million per on his rookie contract.

Not if he would have gotten hurt in his soph year at UT. Then his stock may have dropped. Besides you are always playing for your second contract. That is where the real money is anyway.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm

recruiting is like hitting in baseball-you can be unsuccessful most of the time and still be an All-Star. I always laugh when someone looks at a recruiting board and says how great a class it will be if ---and then they list 3-4 at the top of the recruiting list. No that's not how it works. A school like SMU rarely gets who it wants although Larry Brown gets his fair share. But he got turned down on a whole bunch of national kids before they started settling down the list this spring. Sometimes getting turned down is simply a recruit not showing much interest in which case they may not even offer. In football if you sign 1 of the Top 5 on your list you are doing great-you just have to work your [deleted] off to expand the recruiting pool until you hit on one at the highest level you can based on the program's stature and hard work by coaching staff. SMU's football staff gets "turned down" 200 times every year-they still ended up with what I think was the best class in 30 years.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Not if he would have gotten hurt in his soph year at UT. Then his stock may have dropped. Besides you are always playing for your second contract. That is where the real money is anyway.

So let me get this straight, your logic is don't comeback for a second season of college where you would likely be a much higher draft pick because you MIGHT get injured. Instead, come out after one very average year of college and be a mid-first round pick where the difference between a top 3 pick and mid-first round is millions. Then play in the NBA for three years INJURY FREE and well enough for your second contract because that is where the money is made? Are you a financial planner?

BTW, take a look how many mid-first round picks actually get a big multi-year second contracts...
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ebrooks11 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Not if he would have gotten hurt in his soph year at UT. Then his stock may have dropped. Besides you are always playing for your second contract. That is where the real money is anyway.

So let me get this straight, your logic is don't comeback for a second season of college where you would likely be a much higher draft pick because you MIGHT get injured. Instead, come out after one very average year of college and be a mid-first round pick where the difference between a top 3 pick and mid-first round is millions. Then play in the NBA for three years INJURY FREE and well enough for your second contract because that is where the money is made? Are you a financial planner?

BTW, take a look how many mid-first round picks actually get a big multi-year second contracts...

I was about to say the same thing.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:12 pm

He also might not have fit well into the new coach's system at UT. He was still a lotto pick if I am not mistaken. And he will make more money in the contract he has now than most people make in a lifetime. He makes 2.3 mil annually and 10 mil of his contract is guaranteed(injury or not). He is set for life if he is a good steward of his earnings on that contract alone. No guarantees on what happens his soph year at UT. Don't want to be like Matt Barkley and be a projected NFL 1st round pick his junior year and then get injured his senior playing for free and drop to a 6th or 7th round draft pick. We will see what his next contract is but even without it he is in good shape. FWIW, MK was starting this year and got hurt and never regained his form or his starting spot back until the last two games of the season. I think his stock was higher last year than this year. Had MK gone pro last year and signed a contract overseas or in the NBA we would not be in a situation now where we could get put in probation in 2018 for APR violations. Sometimes it is not always best to stay an extra year even though some fans of a school may selfishly want a player to come back so they can have a good team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ebrooks11 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm

But sometimes it is.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:10 am

ebrooks11 wrote:But sometimes it is.

That's true.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smupony94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:15 pm

@EvanDaniels
2016 center Ted Kapita & SMU parted ways, per a source. He's currently visiting NC State.
smupony94

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:17 pm

smupony94 wrote:@EvanDaniels
2016 center Ted Kapita & SMU parted ways, per a source. He's currently visiting NC State.

Not surprised at all. Guy has question marks all over him and may be dumb as rocks
Pony ^

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Lots of emotions and arguing within the ranks of the WDNWHA Committee on this one.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Cort » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:37 pm

IF he is visiting NC State, did he qualify? I thought that was the only issue that was holding him from dotting the i's ofcourse first signing his Ts, or did he decide that it was not a good fit?

Ted KapITa

Harry is the True winner here. Secondly, If Bruno comes next year , could mean BIG minutes with Moore and Sterling gone.
Cort
Junior Varsity

Postby jpe747 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Sorry to learn of this. I was looking forward to watching him play.
jpe747
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball