PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

C-USA and BBall

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

C-USA and BBall

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:56 pm

What do you all think the impact and differences will be on our basketball program once we are in C-USA?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: C-USA and BBall

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:00 pm

I'm looking forward to Calipari and Memphis coming to town. By the time we join they will be a national power if they're not already this year or next. Also, a game in the Pyramid each year. Memphis and Tulane can be two fun road trips.

<small>[ 11-05-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby OldPony » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:37 am

I see little difference. Memphis is better (or will be) than anyone in the WAC but I think there is quite a fall off after that. I don't see anyone for instance as good as Hawaii or FSU have been. Luckily, we got Tulsa to go with us so we will have at least 2 quality programs in CUSA
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:38 pm

BB Recruiting will improve with our players being able to play in Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Tulsa, Memphis, Birmingham, Orlando, etc. Good markets with strong HS talent. It's not the Big East, BCS, etc. but there is no reason why this conference couldn't emerge has a very impression collection of BB schools. Tulsa and Memphis are strong now. Houston has great tradition. Watch out for Tulane and UAB. I like this much better that the far flung WAC. Recruiting will improve.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:05 pm

You left out the mecca of college basketball, North Carolina. Okay ECU isn't UNC, but its in North Carolina. But this means something to recruiting in that area of the country. Dement worked that area as a Duke assistant. On the competitive side, I think UH and Rice are up and coming basketball teams. Rice was good last year and UH can't stay awful forever, there's too much tradition there.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Johnny Rock » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:34 pm

The major difference in the new C-USA will be that SMU losses to a few new conference teams every year. We still will not make the NCAA tournament. Remember, Dement has failed to win any big game since he has been here. But he fails to keep his job. SMU has failed to allow our coaches to compete on an even playing field with most Division 1 schools. SMU also fails to renovate Moody to help the coaches recruit quality players. With the current pace, SMU will be forced out of Division 1 athletics in five years.
Johnny Rock

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:52 pm

Johnny Boy, I know we are getting our a-sses waxed in the football game right now, but lets not go nuclear winter here. Morris Brown plays D-1 basketball, so does UT-Corpus Cristi now. Even if they kick us out of D-1 football (not happening), we can always remain a bball only member of CUSA. Life is good bro.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:44 pm

Thanks, Hoop. Johnny Rocks enjoys his one simple message, the sky is failing. If he is an SMU Alum (which is doubtful given his single track mind of doom and gloom), he should support Pro Teams, where cynicism and withholding support are part of it.

Let's focus on the future. I like BB in CUSA. It will be a bigger challenge. Hope Dement's strength in recruiting pays off on the court. Updating Moody and adding a practice court, given the demands on facility, do make sense.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Basketball