PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016-17 Starting five

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016-17 Starting five

Postby stangsup4 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:13 am

I'd say Jarrey almost needs to start with the potential frontline rebounding issues.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon May 30, 2016 3:34 pm

I think we can all agree on four of the starters. I see the fifth spot as open but pointing towards either Ben E or Jarrey. They each have a year in the system although technically Ben E has two. If he is healthy i think he gets the edge.

Jarrey had a very good first year...beyond all expectations. I'd like to see him improve from the free throw line and i agree with the Sterling comparisons. He is a classic LB type team guy. Starter or not he will get plenty of minutes and should continue to improve each season.

We are going to be very tough defensively and not nearly as explosive on offense. We'll see lower points scored both for and against than last year.

I can't wait to see what these freshman bring. Nobody is saying much about McDowell and Wilson. We'll need contributions from both. Sed never really got any run last year. I hope those guys get some.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Mon May 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Shake
Ben E
Sterling
Ben
Semi
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon May 30, 2016 9:36 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Shake
Ben E
Sterling
Ben
Semi

This. Ben will be more of a 5, Semi on the wing. Froling plays the 5 when he rotates in and lets Ben get back to the 4.

Sterling and Jarrey rotate, with Sterling play a "4" when we go small and Froling gets in foul trouble.

Wilson and McDowell off the bench at guard.

I still expect a surprise before season starts.

As for whether we run or slow things down, the most important thing is offensive efficiency. If Semi and Ben can make shots in half court sets, I think SMU will run the same offense. But if they struggle or the frosh can't play defense, the team will run a bit more like they did when Jank was running the shop at the beginning of last season.
JasonB

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm

So we've gone from fearing Emelogu could medically retire to thinking he could crack the starting five?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:So we've gone from fearing Emelogu could medically retire to thinking he could crack the starting five?

Some pay sites said he was done but people who have seen him practice say he looks good

You decide
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:12 pm

One pay site said he was not done.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:So we've gone from fearing Emelogu could medically retire to thinking he could crack the starting five?

Larry seemed to indicate he would be back when interviewed at the end of the season.

If they can rebuild Keith's jumper, I don't think they will have a problem with Gu. He was really strong defensively at the end of his first season here, and I think it would be good to have a combo guard next to Shake, since Shake isn't a traditional point.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:58 am

I know this is ancient history but lets recall the frosh year Ben E had in the ACC. He scored, he dished, rebounded and played D. He was the friggin team captain. LB and Jank obviously saw something in him that made him a priority. Let's hope he can come back as he could be a great component.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Previous

Return to Basketball