PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lithuania Anyone?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lithuania Anyone?

Postby OldPony » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:46 pm

I will keep posting my BS as you put it until he shows something. You can tell what his TO/assist ratio is from a box score and you can tell shooting percentage, steals and some other things. A 40 in vertical doesn't show up unless you use it to do something. Being the best high school player in the world dosn't show up in college games or stats. It is the opinion of a lot of people-sportswriters included- that he will be great. Before I put someone in that category though, I would like to see it. I was excited as hell about him signing with SMU and continue to have hope.
I accept that he was hurt last year. Are you saying that he still is ? Many a great potential has been ended with injuries and I hope that isn't the case here. No one wants to see BHop succeed more than I do.
I wish I could see BHop play to see what you guys see but the only opportunities I have is when they are on TV which isn't much. He was hurt last year so when I did see him he wasn't able to perform at a very high level. I listen to most every game and follow the Ponies as closely as anyone can from long distance. I heard Q putting the team on his back last year with solid help from Simpson and I think they were the stars of the team last year. I guess I just can't be the type of fan that wants to see some proof of players abilities and be universally admired by the posters here. As much as that hurts, I'll get through it.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:49 pm

OP, I don't know if he is still injured or what but the Hopkins I saw against on Sat still doesn't have the speed and explosion that I saw in high school. If it frustrates you to have a high school star who is not performing up to the hype as a freshman or soph, maybe its better if you just assume he will never get over his injuries so then you wont be disappointed. I don't know if he will ever be the same or not at this point, but he is still a pretty good player. He and Simpson are our go to guys.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:12 pm

OP, I understand your frustration. It just seems to me that you have been really unreasonable with your expectations from Hop to this point. Unfortunately, with his size and the type of game he plays he has to be near 100% to have the impact that all of his hype would suggest. His major strengths are defensive quickness, the ability to blow by people with the ball, and major hops, all of which were and likely still are being affected by injuries. Last year his TOs were so high and shooting % so low because he was trying to do the things he could pull of when healthy but couldn’t with the injuries.

I don’t know Bryan personally so I really have no way of knowing if he is fully recovered. Either way, I know enough about basketball and his game that at 100% he is the class of the WAC, along with Snyder of Nevada. Only time will tell if and when he fully recovers, and if that times comes I seriously doubt there has ever been a more exciting and talented player to play for SMU.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:03 pm

Hoop & LA- I guess it is just the frustration that is bothering me and i hope the guy gets back to 100%. It seems to me though that if he isn't 100% then we may need to change who our go-to guys are. Isham has always impressed me with his athleic abilities and shooting. Maybe our game ought to be for BHop to try to get the ball into Simpson and screen for Isham to help get him open. The in-out game only works when the outside shooters can make the three. We may have to do a better job screening for Miller for this team to go anywhere. BHop must stay relatively healthy because we don't have a lot of strength at point otherwise. I would love to see him get well.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby braginator » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:08 pm

Maybe we can try and get both Hopkins' on the court at the same time. Ryan or whatever the other one's name is deserves more than one second per game (that's about what he averaged last year). Two Hopkins' on one floor may confuse our opponents, and maybe they will focus their defense on the wrong one, but that probably won't happen... :no:

<small>[ 11-12-2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: braginator ]</small>
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:27 pm

I like the idea of confusing people but who should have sat on the bench more to give Ryan more time? Q? BHop? Isham? I, personally, would like to see all of our bench push for starting jobs and, therefore, get more time. It appears that we have an excellent batlle from the big guys this year and some depth there for a change- now if we can get the little guys to push the starters.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:42 pm

Wouldn't confuse anybody, but I'd like to see ole Aitkenhead in there some more.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby braginator » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:25 pm

I was joking. We all know there is no place for the other Hopkins out there on the floor. :p
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:48 pm

Bryan Hopkins is the most talented player to suit up for SMU. Better than Sasser. Better than Quinton Ross. Better than Ira Terrell. Better than Jim Krebs. You'll see.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:49 pm

Ever.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:05 pm

that maybe true but he ain't in the Top 50 players right now and for you to suggest he is perhaps the greatest player is silly and shows a lack of understanding that this once a basketball powerhouse.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StangEsq » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:06 pm

Originally posted by ponyboy:
Ever.
Better than Koncak?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:08 pm

Hit the brakes there PonyBoy. All hype, no game. Yes, I did see him in HS and he was greatness but whether he is hurt or whatever he better produce this year which to me is the all around game (assists/defense) and not scoring...making everyone else better.

<small>[ 11-12-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball