PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lithuania Anyone?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lithuania Anyone?

Postby TLBGator » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:40 pm

After the exhibition game, came home with 2 keys to SMU wins all season...get the ball inside to Simpson, he's unstoppable in the paint and don't let B-Hop make stupid decisions, he's too good to be shooting some of the crazy shots he does. Lituania team was livid after their loss. Nice OT victory.
word.
TLBGator
Recruit

Re: Lithuania Anyone?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:44 pm

anyone notice that Isham dished out 8 assists and had NO turnovers? His career seems to be running parallel to Damon Hancock's, except that he won't be relied on to carry this team. After a long football season, it will be nice to watch and follow a more competitive SMU team.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:33 pm

BHop made few, if any, stupid decisions. Were you watching the same game? He was far and away the finest player and willed the win into existence. Isham did look good. Agreed there.

Bryan Hopkins is a player. Better than Sasser. Better than the Q.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby TLBGator » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:38 pm

No I completely agree, B-Hop is one of the most well-rounded players SMU has seen in years and with 19 points I'm not complaining. I was watching the same game, thanks, and saw a few times where Hopkins drove the lane and threw up a prayer, also had a couple poor decisions beyond the arc...PonyBoy you're trying to start an argument out of nothin, on your side buddy.
word.
TLBGator
Recruit

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:39 pm

How did we look defending the three? I see they shot 34% for the game. I know those "European boys" can gemerally shoot the lights out from outside, but if we don't improve our perimeter defense this year, it'll be another slow, painful trip to the psychiatric ward for us fans. Did you notice any improvement there?
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:06 pm

they torched us pretty bad on the 3s. We stayed in the zone trap way too long in my opinion. One interesting thing is that Devon Pearson played some point on defense. Hes big and could create some problems, but I'd like to see more man to man.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:31 pm

I fail to see how allowing 34% from 3 point range is being torched. Bhop continues his torrid shooting at 38% (16.7% from 3 point range) and had as many TOs as assists. When do you guys think he might start showing the promise you all say he has? I didn't get to see the game but the box score looks pretty good except for BHop. I kept hearing from many on this board that he is another TJ Ford. So far I would have to say that he doesn't belong on the same court. It was great to see that Isham played well and Simpson (and Rack). Pearson seems to fit pretty well too. I'm still excited about the team but it is only because of what many of you say about BHop, not what he has done. BHop---- please show me why you were considered a great recruit!!!!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:51 pm

34% from beyond the arc translates into above 50% from twos. Most coaches would take that. Lithuania wasn't the most talented team either, college teams will continue to get clean easy looks against that zone. Trapping zones don't work unless you are going all out trying to create a turnover.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:49 am

If he sticks with the 1-3-1 again this year we will continue to get lit up from 3 land. With Rack and Simpson/Castro in the middle, no reason to collapse. Rack needs to stay out of foul trouble this year. We seem to always be too lazy to adjust to the weak side and the opponent gets open looks.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:02 am

I think you'd find that most teams think of 34% from 3 pt to be acceptqble but certainly not being on fire or a goal. 34% IS NOT BEING "TORCHED". Scuse the caps lock. The Euros usually shoot pretty well even though they may not be good teams. To add validity to your point though, I wish we had a point guard who could shoot 30% from 3 range. The only 3 shooters we seem to have are Isham and occasionally Simpson and Castro. That apperas to me to be the weakest thing we do and it has been for some time.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:06 pm

Old Pony, with all due respect to your age and experience, you look more and more foolish every time you post anything about Bryan Hopkins. He's the finest player we've had in years. Maybe ever.

Sounds like you're looking for a Kobe Bryant. Kobe he ain't, it's true. It just isn't his game to light up the scoreboard and play selfish ball. BHop is a quiet leader and fierce competitor and has really shown a lot of growth and maturity from last year.

Lay off him.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:38 am

Hey I think BHop will be just fine-but PonyBoy once again you are totally off base by saying he is perhaps the greatest player in SMU history. He doesn't deserve those kinds of accolades. BTW Ira Terrell was the greatest recruit in SMU history.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:40 am

PonyBoy- I don't see how you can even type that with a straight face. On what do you base the assertion that he is the best or even one of the best ever at SMU? He has no 3 point shot nor is his assist to TO ratio good. He HAS had some good defensive games. All we have seen so far is potential, not delivery. I'm not looking for Kobe. I was told to look for a TJ Ford type player though. He was touted to be the best signeee ever so I would think there would be some sign that he is outstanding. You tell me if there is any stat that tells you that he is a great player. No one hopes he is any more than I do but he hasn't shown it yet. I know he was hurt last year so that is not fair to juge him by but I would like to see better than 6-16 shooting and 17% from 3 point. Is that too much to ask from the "best ever"?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:16 pm

OP, you kept saying this same s**t last year. You refuse to accept the fact that he wasnt 100% and you only wanted to talk about his TOs and low shooting %. He was pressing trying to overcome his injuries and live up to everyones expectations....he should have been redshirted! We havent even played a regular season game and your at it again. Yes, he has been getting a lot of pub in this years preseason mags. Do you think that many experts are wrong?? I read where you are making all these comments based on a box score?? You didn't even go to the game. I wish I had the ability to read that much from a box score.

And you want stats that show he is a great player? Try a 40+ vertical, won WAC Freshman of the Year when playing at 70-80%, in high school was the best player on the national championship team that included a guy that was just taken #4 in the NBA draft, out played every other highly recruited guard he faced his senior year and in summer leagues (Deron Williams, Bracey Wright, Dee Brown, Daniel Horton). It still may be a while before we see Hop at 100%, so you just keep posting your b.s. about his TOs and shooting that you read in a box score.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:43 pm

He's a really, really good player. Only thing I'd like to see from Bhop this year is for his A/T ratio to go from last year's 1/1 to 2/1, like we all know he's capable. That depends on other guys, too, but it mostly depends on him settling down and not trying to do everything.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Basketball