PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

lineup

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

lineup

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:39 pm

This is a bit radical, but based on performance in the scrimmage last week and the exhibition last night, this might be my starting lineup if I had to make it: Hopkins, Isham, Pearson, Simpson and Rackauskus. Lowe the first guard/forward off the bench and Castro the first big man. Pearson has alot of upside and Rack is showing something right now. Voc didn't dress out last night, so it makes you wonder if his knee is holding up.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: lineup

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:57 am

HF, the only change I would make to your lineup is start Castro and bring Pearson off the bench. Pearson is going to be a very good player. I love his game but Castro should start.

The Rack may be the biggest surprise we have seen under Dement. His improvement has been very significant. We havent had a kid with his size and skill in a long time....plenty of upside there.

Before the Canada trip Dement was quoted in the DMN as saying that Miller was going to be a starter this season?? I find that hard to believe. I think we tend to forget about Miller but I cant see him breaking into the starting lineup.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:15 pm

I don't see Miller starting over Isham at all, but apparently he is. As for Castro, he didn't look like himself to me on Saturday. And if Rack is in the lineup, I think we need a little more athleticism with Pearson, who can rebound also. I know starting a freshman is radical as I said, and I dont see practice, but based on what I have seen, I would do it because I think that is our best lineup right now. But I would also like the lineup of Hop, Isham, Lowe, Simpson and Rack. LA, I say all this, but I'm afraid that we won't see too much of Rack or Pearson when the season starts and I think we really need Isham to win that off guard spot.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:39 pm

You may be right about Rack and Pearson not playing much early, but I hope not. I think they can both contribute now. Dement does seem to be tentative to play Rack for some reason. Isham MUST start. We need Isham, Simpson, and Hop on the floor as much as possible. We have a very tough N-C schedule and their experience and leadership will be key in those games.

Castro and Rack will be key in the Tech, Wake, and OSU (just noticed that game will be on ESPN) games. You know those teams play very physical so we need our bigs to have some kind of presence in the paint. Also, our first four conference games are against the best in the WAC, Tulsa, at Fresno, at Nevada, and Hawaii, so we better be ready.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:21 pm

I can't imagine that Miller starts over Isham. Iman had more assists than BHop against Lith. and is maybe our most athletic guy. He shoots well from outside and can slash. Miller is not nearly as good of a defender and is primarily a 3 shooter. As bad as we shoot 3's, he should see a lot of time but I would think it may be at the 3 position, not as a 2. We need speed to cover the 3's and I don't think Miller has that ability. BHop, Simpson, Isham, Rack and a rotating 5th man depending on who we play and how we want to do match ups. Castro, Lowe and Miller all do different things well so it is hard to see how all won't contribute. Pearson could be the big surprise and could solidify the starting team if he can continue to play like he has agaisnt the better competition he will see when the season starts. It is fun to look at depth compared to years before though, huh?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:32 pm

The 3 of us pretty much see it the same way. Still, Miller started on Saturday I believe, so until I see differently thats what I assume Dement is thinking.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball