PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU vs. SMU - December 7

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU vs. SMU - December 7

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 pm

gostangs wrote:The TCU home game will be interesting. There will be more opposing fans there than any other team we have ever played in moody would be my guess. If for no other reason due to friendships with our season ticket holders.

Will be a fun game to be sure. Students will be crazy. Also lots of TCU kids from California didn't get in SMU so they have that bitter rejection pill to swallow.

Not so sure about this ^^^ Lou, UCONN, CIN ARK, and Tulsa drew a good set of opposing fans. I feel like LOU was perhaps the largest contingent.

The last couple of TCU games at moody drew 2,300 and 3,300 total - and those numbers include the band and the empty season ticket holder seats.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:39 pm

mustangxc wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Here's a novel idea, schedule a decent Big 12 team. Only get so many OOC vs p5 squads, why waste one on a cellar dweller who was a rival 20 years ago.

Why do you see it as either TCU or Oklahoma? Why not both? I see it as either New Orleans or Oklahoma, UIC or Oklahoma State, Southern or Baylor, Grambling or Texas Tech. We could schedule them all if we really wanted.

schedules are done very specifically to include a definitive number of cupcakes that also don't drag RPI, probable wins vs legit RPIs where we're the definitive favorite and 50/50 games vs high majors. Our OOC isn't and hasn't been murderers row by design, but that needs to change a bit. Your version of scheduling flies in the face of how specifically these things are put together. Including preseason tourneys, we're only gonna get 3 or 4 legit OOC games vs name brands. TCU shouldn't be one. 30 yrs of alums don't care about them in hoops. You want attendance, find a way to replace them w someone legit
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

PK wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Here's a novel idea, schedule a decent Big 12 team. Only get so many OOC vs p5 squads, why waste one on a cellar dweller who was a rival 20 years ago.

TCU could say the same about us in football. Personally I wouldn't want to see our games with TCU go away. We will get better in football and they will get better in basketball thus making the long time rivalry relevant again all around.

They should say that about us in fball. The difference is, they schedule us as a cupcake easy win, while packing the rest of the schedule. In hoops, we play in an average league, so we need to pack the OOC. TCU is a waste of time. Also, call me a cynic, but I don't want our marquee programs schedule being dragged down by a sport that may or not be viable for us in 5-10 years.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I agree. I have never really understood this fabricated heated SMU-TCU thing. Yeah they have been really good in football for the past few years but to a majority of SMU alums they are just a nuisance.

They definitely don't move the needle in basketball at all.

Sure it is a nice low-cost trip for each school in all sports and we should definitely play them in volleyball, soccer, equestrian, etc. but basketball doesn't seem worth our time when there are such limited opportunities for meaningful RPI games until The American starts to really bring it.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
PK wrote:

TCU could say the same about us in football. Personally I wouldn't want to see our games with TCU go away. We will get better in football and they will get better in basketball thus making the long time rivalry relevant again all around.

They should say that about us in fball. The difference is, they schedule us as a cupcake easy win, while packing the rest of the schedule. In hoops, we play in an average league, so we need to pack the OOC. TCU is a waste of time. Also, call me a cynic, but I don't want our marquee programs schedule being dragged down by a sport that may or not be viable for us in 5-10 years.

One could make the argument that it's kinda not viable now
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:20 pm

The SMU TCU thing isn't fabricated. People in both schools like playing each other and like the close drive for home and away games. I'm glad we still play them in both sports.
We had a good crowd at that HS gym last year in FW.
skyscraper

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Fabricated?? That's funny. If you play a very similar school only 30miles away that you have 100 years of history with I'm not sure how that is fabricated. If SMU has ever had a true rival it is TCU.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:21 am

LA_Mustang wrote: If SMU has ever had a true rival it is TCU.

Without a doubt. There is a helluva lot more to the rivalry than sports.
Bergermeister

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:40 am

IF expansion has taught us anything ,rivalries don't matter, its all a money grab. So, ditch the emotion/sentiment, be clinical, and do whats right for the ONLY revenue that is definitively sustainable
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am

Marquee program? We've been good for three years. Let's tap the brakes a little bit. You act like we are national powerhouse. Who knows what happens when Larry Brown isn't here.

We had 12 OOC games last year. I'm sure we could replace a Sam Houston State/New Hampshire/Nicholls State with one of your dream opponents. TCU is local and I GUARANTEE will be well attended and our fan base will care more about that game than New Hampshire.

Lets try not to act like we are so much better than them after three years of being good (although we've never even made it past the first round).
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:11 am

hoopmanx wrote:IF expansion has taught us anything ,rivalries don't matter, its all a money grab. So, ditch the emotion/sentiment, be clinical, and do whats right for the ONLY revenue that is definitively sustainable

Well, there you go. Get ready for the 6 p.m. home opener against Liberty!!!
Bergermeister

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:56 am

I'd rather have a brand name like TCU than some scrub school like Nicholls or New Hampshire any day. Whether they are good or not, TCU is recognized as a big 12 team and people actually know who they are. Until they can be replaced with a quality brand name/respected program, they should remain on our schedule
Pony ^

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:52 am

Pony ^ wrote:I'd rather have a brand name like TCU than some scrub school like Nicholls or New Hampshire any day. Whether they are good or not, TCU is recognized as a big 12 team and people actually know who they are. Until they can be replaced with a quality brand name/respected program, they should remain on our schedule

It IS all about the scheduling.

Playing Texas Southern, Eastern Washington, and Wyoming in 2014 may not have been the exciting draw for SMU fans, but those Wins all came against eventual NCAA tourney teams, which looked pretty darn good at the end of the year.

Finding those "no-name teams" that have a decent chance to win their leagues is quite helpful when tournament selection Sunday arrives.

TCU has no shot. of winning their league. I would rather see us play Richmond, Pepperdine, E. Wash, Kent State, etc than TCU...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:33 am

This thread is littered w people who don't understand scheduling. You guys are right, let's schedule p5 opponents that actually hurt us when we lose. That's the definition of moronic, especially when you only get 4 whacks at the bigs every year. So many nostalgic old guys....
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:11 am

hoopmanx wrote:This thread is littered w people who don't understand scheduling. You guys are right, let's schedule p5 opponents that actually hurt us when we lose. That's the definition of moronic, especially when you only get 4 whacks at the bigs every year. So many nostalgic old guys....

Get off my lawn. :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball