PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU vs. SMU - December 7

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU vs. SMU - December 7

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:51 pm

TCU will be respectable again in bball soon. We shouldn't drop them from the schedule b/c they've been bad recently; they still schedule us in football and will pack Ford this year, and God knows we've been awful in football
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Excuse me but anyone that went to the last TCU game knows we were lucky to walk away with the win.

Two baskets isn't a blowout and I'm pretty sure we were down at the half

One Trick Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 am

Not about competitiveness of games, it's about the potential to take BAD losses for no gain. That's not how you schedule P5s
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:00 am

hoopmanx wrote:Not about competitiveness of games, it's about the potential to take BAD losses for no gain. That's not how you schedule P5s

Maybe you can use your basketball connections and get us a game against Duke. Bring a whole bunch of Godfather t-shirts with you when you go.

BTW I want to put my order in for a Godfather cap extra large for Fatheads
I'll sponsor it. Black on white - top of the line material with fitted cap features please and thank you
One Trick Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 am

Obviously, hoopmanx believes playing historic college rivals is not important. While I completely disagree, I understand why he doesn't want to play TCU in basketball because it currently does nothing for us resume wise. But this is much bigger than basketball. The fact that they have continued to play us in football the past ten years has helped our athletic department a lot more than the potential risk of an arguably bad basketball loss. Many of the older alums who give a lot of money to the MC want to see SMU play TCU and if that stopped it would not help to keep them engaged in SMU athletics. It's about the ONLY thing we have going to connect us to our athletic history. Plus. If we said to TCU that we're not going to play you anymore in hoops because we have nothing to gain I guarantee they would respond with the same goes for us in football. Suddenly, SMU vs. TCU in any sport is over. And we know these egos don't forget quickly, see UT/A&M.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:34 pm

TCU is the only rival we have left that anyone gives a dam about so any talk of not playing them anymore is complete foolishness. We didn't fill up half of that high school gym last year because it was an easy drive, we did it to shove a little [deleted] down the throats of someone we care about beating.

They care as well and that's why there was a 60+ year old frog fan shooting us the bird at the end of the game. Makes the game a lot more fun.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:25 am

Shlit - isn't that a cheap beer?
One Trick Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 am

lollaperuna wrote:TCU is the only rival we have left that anyone gives a dam about so any talk of not playing them anymore is complete foolishness. We didn't fill up half of that high school gym last year because it was an easy drive, we did it to shove a little [deleted] down the throats of someone we care about beating.

They care as well and that's why there was a 60+ year old frog fan shooting us the bird at the end of the game. Makes the game a lot more fun.

and none of that matters in today's collegiate landscape. I get the sentiment, I used to hate them too, but realignment dictates that you put whats best for program first. In hoops, that means making the tourney by any means possible. TCU doesn't help that, only hurts.

For those referencing football, they are vastly different situations. TCU didnt do us a favor by continuing to schedule us, they merely needed 3 OOC games vs pansies every year. We fill that role, just like Texas St, SHSU or any of those other bottom feeders do. If we rise up under Morris to the point of being able to threaten them, we now longer fill that void. It would be a miserable loss for them that kills their NC hopes. See how long they schedule us, w/the potential to get beat, w/no upside to us.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 am

HoopManx what about those hats?
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 am

I believe the complete opposite when it comes to TCU scheduling us in football. TCU will likely cancel the series if we remain a pansy. They will never cancel the series because we are too good/dangerous.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:32 pm

All i have to add here is that December 7 is a bad day to play a home game.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:54 pm

agree we need to keep playing TCU in every sport both schools play, but definitely need the W in hoops. As long as we beat them, we at least get credit for beating a Big XII school and if they win some games against upper level Big XII programs, that won't hurt our RPI at all. Just can't afford to lose to them and then have them win only 1-2 games in Big XII
Charleston Pony

Postby PerunasHoof » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:41 pm

As I recall, the game against Brown was pretty close. 8 point game and their RPI is in the 300's. I think a loss there would have hurt a little more than TCU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... eamId/2567
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

This is a historically bad thread lol. Either you're moving forward or you're living in the past.The shear number of people who brought up football in this thread, says it all. I love rivalries too, but to say they matter in this landscape is silly. Only good wins matter and avoiding bad losses. Schedule accordingly
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:26 pm

hoopmanx wrote:This is a historically bad thread lol. Either you're moving forward or you're living in the past.The shear number of people who brought up football in this thread, says it all. I love rivalries too, but to say they matter in this landscape is silly. Only good wins matter and avoiding bad losses. Schedule accordingly

The caps man the caps -
Do you need an order of $500 to start?
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball