PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated roster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Updated roster

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 am

Lefty wrote:What do you base your claim (Semi is best player) on? Have you seen him play? I haven't. I don't know. I hope you're right, because Ben Moore and Sterling Brown and Shake are pretty good, and if Semi is better, that's good for us. I'm not challenging you -- just curious about your thinking.

There is a reason the team calls him "Sembron".
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 am

#musclewatch2k16
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby flockofseagulls » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

JasonB wrote:AAC will have 4 or 5 this season.

Unless there are some huge OOC games that I don't know about (in addition to ours in MSG), I find it exponentially more likely that we go ahead and win the conference again than this perennially disrespected 3-team league suddenly getting more teams in the tournament.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Lefty wrote:What do you base your claim (Semi is best player) on? Have you seen him play? I haven't. I don't know. I hope you're right, because Ben Moore and Sterling Brown and Shake are pretty good, and if Semi is better, that's good for us. I'm not challenging you -- just curious about your thinking.

Sorry, replace Best with "Most Talented and most athletic". That is what I was trying to say. We will see how well he learns the offense and fits with Brown, but the skill set is there.
JasonB

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:11 pm

JasonB wrote:
Shake I think has the chance to be a lottery pick after this season if he takes the next step. He is rare with the control over his body and the game. Good athleticism but always in control. Very good pure shooter. Good size. We saw int he Tulsa game that he needs to work on his lateral quickness defensively to guard the point, especially in the NBA. And he needs to be able to drive left, because he was stopped in penetration by hanging on his right the second half of the year and it frustrated him. But his overall game from shooting, passing, scoring, and length to rebound as a guard is rare. If his defense continues to evolve scouts will drool. I mentioned Jordan last year, which everyone ripped on. I don't think he will be as good as Jordan or anything like that. I was making the statement that his overall game is good, but his aura of control is unique.

Shake played for all 40 minutes vs Cincinatti when we were down to 6 players after the Sterling ejection.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 pm

malonish wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Shake I think has the chance to be a lottery pick after this season if he takes the next step. He is rare with the control over his body and the game. Good athleticism but always in control. Very good pure shooter. Good size. We saw int he Tulsa game that he needs to work on his lateral quickness defensively to guard the point, especially in the NBA. And he needs to be able to drive left, because he was stopped in penetration by hanging on his right the second half of the year and it frustrated him. But his overall game from shooting, passing, scoring, and length to rebound as a guard is rare. If his defense continues to evolve scouts will drool. I mentioned Jordan last year, which everyone ripped on. I don't think he will be as good as Jordan or anything like that. I was making the statement that his overall game is good, but his aura of control is unique.

Shake played for all 40 minutes vs Cincinatti when we were down to 6 players after the Sterling ejection.

Shake has all the measurables for the NBA game no doubt. I'm just not sold on him being the next SMU bball superstar until I see it on the court. And, please keep in mind I'm comparing him to Nic who was the most clutch player I've seen in the last 25 years at SMU (ANY sport) so a tad bit unfair. Let's see how this season goes for him. I have high hopes but just not sold yet.
ojaipony

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm

draft express has him at #24 for 2017 mock...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:06 pm

How many of you had Keith Frazier pegged as the best on the team (that included Nic, MK, etc) a couple of years ago?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Didn't take long to answer my above question re: Keith - this from Jan 2015:

LA_Mustang wrote:IMO, he is now the best player on the team. He went from maybe the team's worst passer to maybe the best. Every time he penetrates something good happens. Next home game watch the dynamic between Keith and Nic, it is funny and entertaining. They act like brothers.

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76357&hilit=Keith+Frazier

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks and very odd to pull this up but I'll defend myself. During that stretch KF was playing better than anyone, including Nic. MK wasnt on the team at the time. No one has ever doubted the talent KF has. What is your point?

Clarification - MK had been back for a couple of games from sitting out the semester but he wasn't at full speed.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 pm

ojaipony wrote:
malonish wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Shake has all the measurables for the NBA game no doubt. I'm just not sold on him being the next SMU bball superstar until I see it on the court. And, please keep in mind I'm comparing him to Nic who was the most clutch player I've seen in the last 25 years at SMU (ANY sport) so a tad bit unfair. Let's see how this season goes for him. I have high hopes but just not sold yet.

Keep in mind, Nic has a year at a different school and another year of practice before we saw him on the court. And I would suggest that Shake for most of last year took care of the ball better than Nic did when we first saw him, and shot almost as well. Definitely played better defense overall. Nic was awesome and super clutch, just saying that if Shake can handle the LB pressure (it got to even Nic a few times), watch out.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Thanks and very odd to pull this up but I'll defend myself. During that stretch KF was playing better than anyone, including Nic. MK wasnt on the team at the time. No one has ever doubted the talent KF has. What is your point?

Clarification - MK had been back for a couple of games from sitting out the semester but he wasn't at full speed.

My only point is that there were times where some (not just you) considered KF the top talent on the team. I guess we will see what happens up in Denton. The peak of his game at SMU was the Michigan game (IMO) when he shut down LeVert and put in about 15.

I'm not ready to declare that Shake or Semi is the best player / athlete/ etc. There are a lot of question marks that will only be answered in November and December.

Looking back - it is clear that Nic was the one with the most talent. If only he had the height to add to that talent, he would be a lotto pick.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball