PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

EA Sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

EA Sports

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:31 pm

Not a bad game for the Ponies. After getting down big early they came back against a pretty good team (EA beat Arkansas a few days ago). I thought Simpson played a great game (23 pts, 8 boards). That young man has become a hell of a player. If he can start knocking down the 15-18 footers he has a future in the NBA. It’s amazing how much he reminds me of a young Robert Horry. I absolutely love watching the improvement of Rack. He IS the center we have been longing for and he should start. Lowe, Pearson, and Miller didnt suit up???? Not sure what that was about. Castro seemed to be frustrated most of the game and it looked as though he is in Dement’s doghouse. Hop had some nice drives to the bucket but he is still committing too many TOs. Isham had a few big plays, along with his usual two or three power dunks. Overall, they looked pretty good.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: EA Sports

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:13 pm

I only saw the second half, but I have to agree with you LA.

Like everyone else, I was very concerned about the absence of "The Q" on offense but, based on what I saw, they are better offensively. Terrific balance on scoring, with Simpson being the high point guy.

It's ridiculous to be making any predictions based on one half of basketball, but I think this team is going to be better than last years, and more entertaining. The steal and thunder dunk by Isham at the end of the game was great, and also sealed the victory.

Keep in mind, this was a very good EA Sports team that just beat Arkansas in their home arena (sorry for the redundancy LA, but it is worth repeating).

It would be a wonderful relief from this football season if basketball were successful. I think we have a chance, and we even have a player named Bennett.

<small>[ 11-16-2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:07 pm

I agree with the comments that we might be a better team this year without Q, simply because we will be more balanced. I like what I'm seeing...higher shooting percentages, balanced scoring, balanced rebounding, more assists than turnovers, etc...

Could this be the year we surprise someone in non-conference play? TTech, Wake, OSU and Purdue (if we get to them) will all be heavy favorites. Looking at the schedule, with only 3 home games in our non-conference slate, we will do well to go 5-5.
Charleston Pony

Postby OldPony » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:08 am

It looks as if most of the starters played well and the Rack is still coming on strong. Rack and Simpson continue to get better and Isham can be a force if he keeps himself involved. Castro seemed to have a solid game too. The season can't start soon enough. Almost everyone shot well which must mean they are getting better looks.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:04 am

Does anyone know the story with Lowe, Pearson, and Miller?
The more I think about it, that win was very impressive without three guys that will be in the regular rotation.

LA_Mustang

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:54 pm

I was also at the game, and everything that's been said is right on. I think the Rack is going to keep improving. He looked pretty damn good to me, and it excites me to think we might have a productive center for the first time in a long time. I also liked what I saw from Bennett. I get the feeling with some more confidence, that kid can score (hell, he already can). Isham was my wife's favorite, with the dunk, and pinning that guy's shot on the fast break.

Bhop is great, and a hell of a lot of fun to watch, but he needs to give up the ball more. A couple times I saw and heard players literally pleading with him on that very subject, after a turnover, or a break in play. He had a lot of great assists, but I know he's capable of committing less than half the turnovers he does. Our perimeter defense, except for a portion of the second half, was again TERRIBLE. That has simply got to be addressed, or we're looking at another long, mediocre season. People who can shoot, at all, will kill us. Watch.

I was impressed with how we bounced back, being down 14. Maybe we can expect more balanced scoring this year, it sure looks that way, and I'm actually excited for possibly of some improvement this season, even without the Q.

And what's with that guy from EA yelling "excuse me" from the bench on all the late game foul shots? Very annoying, but also kind of funny. I guess the atmosphere was so quiet, it seemed a little odd. I don't really blame him for doing it, now that I think about it.

That high school band was flat-out COCKY.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:20 pm

KnuckleStang,

Your assessment is consistent with mine, however, I am puzzled by the fact that you list your location as NY,NY, yet you were at the game. Is NY simply your home and you live in Dallas? Just curious.

You have to admit, it is refreshing to see something positive out of one of the revenue sports after the football season we have just endured. Hopefully we are not reading too much into what we have seen thus far, but I am much more optimistic about basketball than I thought I was going to be coming into this season.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:40 am

Diehard, we were just in town for the weekend. And you're so right, after that football game on Saturday, watching the basketball team was like a soothing tonic. I'm not getting my hopes up too much at this point, but what I saw was a much more balanced team effort with lots of hustle. Go Ponies! Beat the...uhh...beat UT pan american!
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:46 am

As excited as we all are about b'ball, we need to keep in mind that this team is still one year away. They COULD get to the dance this year but it will require a breakout year from BHop to do it. The other pieces seem to be in place. I would like to see more man defense this year but it will depend on the bench playing strong and on coming up with a capable alternate point guard. Does anyone see how we are going to be able to rest BHop for any length of time?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:00 am

Hopefully, Voc will provide a little rest for Hop. He played maybe 15 minutes in the game but was often at the end of the bench working with the trainer. His chronic injury situation is too bad because he has such great leadership qualities. I would not be surprised if he gets into coaching after graduation.

I loved the band. Anyone with that much energy, passion, and rhythm is entertaining...sucks that there were only about 100 people to hear them.

I guess we'll never know the story behind Lowe, Pearson, and Miller??? We need all three when the season starts.

LA_Mustang

Postby Shawna » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:33 am

I don't know if I can say that Sunday's game was a strong showing of what we are going to accomplish this season. I hope the boys pick up the defense on the three, because EA was eating us alive. However, I agree with the statements about Simpson. He is obviously stronger than in past years, and if he keeps his cool and stays comfortable in his own skin, which I believe he will, I think he has great things ahead.
Bhop needs a little support through this season. If the team is going to start playing like a team it is going to take the older players leading the way. That is going to mainly fall on the shoulders of the junior class. If Dement is smart, and hopefully he will see this before half of the season is over, he will give them time to play on the court together and feel each other out.
Just for everyone’s information, the three boys didn’t suit up on Sunday because of precautionary measures. It is better to have them full for real games, than half for an exhibition game.
I can’t wait for this year to start. And I think you are going to be surprised at Castro. He may not be the fastest out there, but his strength and aggressiveness is coming on quite well. This year is the year. We are going to the dance!
Shawna

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:37 pm

I got more than a few curious replies a while back when I said that this year's team will be better than last because we basically have the same players minus Q. I feel that way because the junior class continues to develop and has become the heart of this team. The Rack seems to improve on a daily basis and the closer Hop gets to 100% the better this team will be. Also, I think Pearson will be pleasant surprise and should contribute early.

I hope Dement will try to use the full court press more. We have the athletes to give schools trouble and we can score in transition.

This would be my starting lineup against the bigger schools (Tech, Wake, Purdue):
Hop, Isham, Simpson, Castro, Rack
with Lowe, Pearson, and Miller the first off the bench

And against the smaller, faster schools:
Hop, Isham, Simpson, Lowe, Rack or Castro
with Pearson, Voc, Bennett, and Miller off the bench

LA_Mustang

Postby OldPony » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:58 pm

EA Sports also torched KU in the first half from 3 point. For what its worth- My starting five is Simpson, Isham, Lowe, Rack and BHop. I'm afraid that the weakness of this team is a sub for BHop and Voc can't be the answer due to his physical limitations. I hope A-head can be the guy. Castro can be a lot of help off of the bench but he isn't the guy we need at center. This team can be really good (top 40-50) if the offense builds around getting the ball to Isham and Simpson. Defensively, it isn't the 1-3-1 that is the problem. It is the lack of quickness on the base line. Simpson will be improved but Rack must really come alive on D. BHop and Isham should be quick enough to keep the 3's from raining from outside, Lowe is our other best chance although Pearson should push him for PT. I would like to see more man D but I don't know if Simpson and Rack can stand up to the really top big men without some help which leaves the perimeter open. It will also require a solid sub for BHop or exhuastion or fouls could make him ineffective at times. That said, I expect the D to be improved and the O to be improved from last year. The WAC doesn't look as strong to me this year so just a little improvement could be enough if the guys show up at the right times. TT looked pretty good last night at times but I think we'll be in the game with them. Wake looks real good so it would require a great shooting night to stay anywhere near them. I like the chemistry of this team and with some breaks, it could develop a little better than I projected above.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:41 pm

What are people's thoughts on Aitkenhead? I seem to remember him performing well in his limited action last year. Not a lot of flash, but also not a lot of mistakes. Seems to know how to protect the basketball. He's not going to blow anybody away with a windmill dunk anytime soon, but he put in some pretty solid minutes. Of course, the Steve Nash hairdo is also a plus. I hope Voc's knees can hold up, he's a great leader out there, and we need him on the court. But it didn't look good at the EA game when he went down hard and came up SLOW, and had to leave the game. Aitkenhead's obviously no where near the player Bhop is, but he seems to bring sound fundamentals and smarts, and I think he could understudy Bhop in a pinch and surprise some people.

<small>[ 11-19-2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: KnuckleStang ]</small>
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:06 pm

I think he really only got to play any extended minutes for 1/2 last year after Dement blew a gasket over BHop TO's. He deliver quite well but we never saw much of him again but when he did play he wasn't nearly as strong as in that one game. BHop has to be the guy but SOMEONE will have to give him breathers. A-Head seems to be the only real choice unless we shift Isham out of position and I don't like that. Dement, Jr. is not a very strong player but should have pretty good court smarts. He might be OK for short spells where we slow it down. There just aren't many good choices since Voc's physical problems seemingly will be with him throughout his stay.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball