PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sam Froling

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sam Froling

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 pm

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Sam Froling

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:52 am

Twin Towers!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smulaw90 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 am

Is anyone surprised that we\SMU haven't\hasn't shown interest in this kid. His height, pedigree, family history at SMU? Seems like we would be all over him.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:09 am

I think both might be over-rated unfortunately (let the flaming begin). The older Froling has a lot of work to do to get into shape, and I predict will have a rough first year with LB but will get better over time. Unfortunately, we need him to bang and crash the boards but he seems more of a slow, spot up type shooter (will be interesting to see if he'll be able to create his own shot at this level).
ojaipony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:47 pm

^^^^^^^
It's a tough road. A.J. Ogilvy (Vandy) was highly touted coming out of Australia - had a monster Frosh year at Vandy. Many thought he might declare for the draft. After his Soph year, he did opt into draft...

Top prospect-->Top SEC Frosh--->un-drafted after Soph year-->Turkey-->Spain-->Australian League-->No-one has heard from him since.

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:51 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:Is anyone surprised that we\SMU haven't\hasn't shown interest in this kid. His height, pedigree, family history at SMU? Seems like we would be all over him.

No worries....Brown and company are on it.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

smusportspage wrote:
Smulaw90 wrote:Is anyone surprised that we\SMU haven't\hasn't shown interest in this kid. His height, pedigree, family history at SMU? Seems like we would be all over him.

No worries....Brown and company are on it.

Exactly do you really think they went all the way to Australia to see Tom and Harry and not check him out too?
smupony94

Postby SMUstangs22 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:09 pm

ojaipony wrote:I think both might be over-rated unfortunately (let the flaming begin). The older Froling has a lot of work to do to get into shape, and I predict will have a rough first year with LB but will get better over time. Unfortunately, we need him to bang and crash the boards but he seems more of a slow, spot up type shooter (will be interesting to see if he'll be able to create his own shot at this level).

Spot up stretch 4/5 can be very dangerous in our high post sceme. Their defender will have to respect him much more than previous years players leaving the lane more open for others.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:16 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I think both might be over-rated unfortunately (let the flaming begin). The older Froling has a lot of work to do to get into shape, and I predict will have a rough first year with LB but will get better over time. Unfortunately, we need him to bang and crash the boards but he seems more of a slow, spot up type shooter (will be interesting to see if he'll be able to create his own shot at this level).

Spot up stretch 4/5 can be very dangerous in our high post sceme. Their defender will have to respect him much more than previous years players leaving the lane more open for others.

Agreed. If he shows consistency in that shot, yes, absolutely. Should open lanes for Ben/Semi/Sterling/Shake who can all drive and need to stay in attack mode.
ojaipony

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm

One advantage we will have with Froling is having a center who will make a shot outside of 5 feet from the basket, which neither MK or Tolbert could do.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:30 am

Tolbert had a decent midrange jumper
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 am

I'm only going to flame, cause you've never seen either. Why comment? Markus was far better for us fat than skinny, so screw conditioning. Where he'll have difficulty is interior D, not b/c he can't play it, he's just never tried to or had to. Just bc he can shoot, doesn't mean he doesn't bang. Aussies are tough effers, he'll board. He's just not going to protect the rim. Samson is a top 30-50 kid if he played here and was class of 18.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:38 am

hoopmanx wrote:

I'm only going to flame, cause you've never seen either. Why comment? Markus was far better for us fat than skinny, so screw conditioning. Where he'll have difficulty is interior D, not b/c he can't play it, he's just never tried to or had to. Just bc he can shoot, doesn't mean he doesn't bang. Aussies are tough effers, he'll board. He's just not going to protect the rim. Samson is a top 30-50 kid if he played here and was class of 18.

I've seen video of Harry (not the same as in person of course). It's on the D side exactly is where my perspective was coming from. I question his athleticism, but let's see how it goes.
ojaipony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 am

ojaipony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

I've seen video of Harry (not the same as in person of course). It's on the D side exactly is where my perspective was coming from. I question his athleticism, but let's see how it goes.

Are we putting in effort towards Sam now? Or anyone else for that matter? Or will it pick up after summer? News has been pretty quiet lately. Granted its that time of year.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Aren't we also limited in contact as part of our sanctions?
smusic 00

Next

Return to Basketball