PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Larry Stepping Down???

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Larry Stepping Down???

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:28 pm

The ship has sailed and it is what it is so I will stop now, but the way to really look at the money is to say what was Larry worth to SMU.

I can count on one hand the current coaches I believe could have accomplished what Larry did at this basketball wasteland and we would never in a million years have a shot at any of them.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Blah...this was never about Larry, it was about David Miller and crew. Commitment makes this a viable program, as it's always been a sleeping giant. Commit to being elite, become elite. That's what brought us LB, so let's not get it twisted.

As for LB deserving stupid loot, sure, if it's only about teaching basketball. Unfortunately, more than half of his job is recruiting and managing the program. he wasn't event coach for a year before we were being investigated for academic fraud. That's nearly impossible at the rate the NCAA moves. I love the guy, can't believe the culture he's bestowed on us, but he's reckless w/o remorse. You can't guarantee a guy that's going to be terminated bc of APR in a year or two. It was inevitable and then you're on the hook for his guaranteed salary plus Janks balloon payment for not being coach. Meanwhile, donors dry up cause we're never allowed to participate in the postseason. Seriously, stop being emotional, and understand this was coming no matter what. We just avoided destruction, didn't prolong success. LB is a master, but this had nothing to do w him being undervalued in the amount we were willing to pay. We merely wanted him recruit a certain type of athlete, specifically one that can read this post. 3 of his last 6 either didn't qualify or couldn't be admitted based on the APR mess he'd put us in.

There are legit facts at play here and reasons why this happened. Be a damn businessman, not a fanboy and grasp what's at stake.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Jank, Jank, Jank, Jank! Let's so how long it takes for pony 'fans' to turn against him, if he gets off to a slow start.

Nic & Larry now both gone, but they didn't matter that much anyways.......haha. This is gonna be fun to watch.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Lol, I loved Nic but his replacement is already slotted in the first round and just destroyed CP3 camp.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Looking forward to it
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:58 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Lol, I loved Nic but his replacement is already slotted in the first round and just destroyed CP3 camp.

'Slotted in the first round'.....which just means his skills project well to the NBA. Not sure that means anything as it relates to Nic's leadership of SMU basketball, clutch shot-making ability, overall affect on the program, and back to back conference player of the year honors.

Shake has the potential, but he's a long way away from becoming the conference player of the year. (even 1 time, let alone 2)

We'll see how he stacks up at year end.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Come on dude your kid sucked so bad we wouldn't take him. How many years will it take you to get over it.
You were nailed from square one .

They call it a Royale with cheese mofo
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyfan37 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 am

footballdad wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Lol, I loved Nic but his replacement is already slotted in the first round and just destroyed CP3 camp.

'Slotted in the first round'.....which just means his skills project well to the NBA. Not sure that means anything as it relates to Nic's leadership of SMU basketball, clutch shot-making ability, overall affect on the program, and back to back conference player of the year honors.

Shake has the potential, but he's a long way away from becoming the conference player of the year. (even 1 time, let alone 2)

We'll see how he stacks up at year end.

You seem to be a basketball expert now. I'll take Hoop's opinion over yours anyday.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 am

Interesting.....

"SMU should have fired Larry Brown when he put the school on probation...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmq5nvrHVCo
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:24 am

Got about 4 seconds . It's amazing what people will read or watch
One Trick Pony

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:28 am

hoopmanx wrote:Blah...this was never about Larry, it was about David Miller and crew. Commitment makes this a viable program, as it's always been a sleeping giant. Commit to being elite, become elite. That's what brought us LB, so let's not get it twisted.

As for LB deserving stupid loot, sure, if it's only about teaching basketball. Unfortunately, more than half of his job is recruiting and managing the program. he wasn't event coach for a year before we were being investigated for academic fraud. That's nearly impossible at the rate the NCAA moves. I love the guy, can't believe the culture he's bestowed on us, but he's reckless w/o remorse. You can't guarantee a guy that's going to be terminated bc of APR in a year or two. It was inevitable and then you're on the hook for his guaranteed salary plus Janks balloon payment for not being coach. Meanwhile, donors dry up cause we're never allowed to participate in the postseason. Seriously, stop being emotional, and understand this was coming no matter what. We just avoided destruction, didn't prolong success. LB is a master, but this had nothing to do w him being undervalued in the amount we were willing to pay. We merely wanted him recruit a certain type of athlete, specifically one that can read this post. 3 of his last 6 either didn't qualify or couldn't be admitted based on the APR mess he'd put us in.

There are legit facts at play here and reasons why this happened. Be a damn businessman, not a fanboy and grasp what's at stake.

Impending APR doom if LB kept going down this path of is it inevitable now?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 am

hoopmanx wrote:Blah...this was never about Larry, it was about David Miller and crew. Commitment makes this a viable program, as it's always been a sleeping giant. Commit to being elite, become elite. That's what brought us LB, so let's not get it twisted.

I think you make it all sound just a little too easy there. I agree that the commitment made the job attractive to Larry and the new Moody has been a big piece of the puzzle, but the commitment and David Millers money didn't give reigning champion Louisville all they could handle and sweep the soon to be National Champion Huskies.

I've said my piece and I sincerely hope Coach Jankovich can keep the magic rolling, but I am simply amazed at how easy some think it is to replace Coach Brown or minimize what he accomplished.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Dukie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:06 am

lollaperuna wrote:You don't think Larry Brown is as good as Bill Self? The only thing holding Larry back is time.

Coach K makes 9.6 and I bet they cheerfully write the checks.

Well, it's slow in the summer, so I will take the time to respond to this. Coach K is by a fair margin the highest paid college basketball coach, ever. He is also the winningest top-level college basketball coach, ever. Much of that figure doesn't come from Duke revenues, either. I love Larry and I'm sorry he's gone, but this is not a valid comparison.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 am

lollaperuna wrote:

I think you make it all sound just a little too easy there. I agree that the commitment made the job attractive to Larry and the new Moody has been a big piece of the puzzle, but the commitment and David Millers money didn't give reigning champion Louisville all they could handle and sweep the soon to be National Champion Huskies.

I've said my piece and I sincerely hope Coach Jankovich can keep the magic rolling, but I am simply amazed at how easy some think it is to replace Coach Brown or minimize what he accomplished.

I'm not denying it happened faster w Larry at the helm, nor am I denying his contribution to culture is really special. He's greatness, but all that means is would have taken a few years longer, minus sanctions. And yes, David Millers money did give the teams you mention, all they could handle. None of this is possible minus commitment. It's why we are sustainable, especially now that fan base has tasted it
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:40 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Come on dude your kid sucked so bad we wouldn't take him. How many years will it take you to get over it.
You were nailed from square one .

They call it a Royale with cheese mofo

I thought his kid was on the team, just buried on the depth chart due to a lack of talent. He trolls around here just because even June wouldn't give his kid a shot?
friarwolf
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball