PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Staff Moves

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Staff Moves

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:02 am

Ok, some contradictory info out there, but here's the skinny... Duncs is very well regarded by Jank, LB and Jay Wright. He's been offered a slew of bench positions over the past few years. his time is now for the Mustangs. Was pivotal in a non official role in getting Markus to SMU, same w Froling. He takes the 3rd chair.

KT is going to get the bump to Associate HC. His Dad was a coach and he's not just a sniper like Ulric even Snacks. Reserved guy, resposible for much of the roster. Jank is fairly reserved as well, so any addition needs to be outgoing, chock w personality.

This leaves Hobbie. Hobbie is a holdover from Dohs staff that hasn't scored one kid since becoming an assistant. Hes a good shot coach, his Dad was a skill training legend in NYC, got along w LB but zero productivity in terms of talent acquisition. Time for him to pack his bags. Not even sure he's worth the demotion, when you can move up Sean Stoudt.

Another incumbent is George Lynch. Lynch was a helluva college and NBA a guy, part of the Carolina family mentality that LB instilled at Crum. Was a Dallas AAU guy several years back, w very limited success. He's an experienced basketball guy, but a green recruiter. I'd not believe you can move both he and Duncs up. He either stays the course or the highway. He's a bad look in the 2nd chair, Imo

So, who makes sense for the 2nd chair and why. ,first, several candidates have reached out to Jank, offering their services, from schools big and small. Here are 3 candidates that can both coach a bit and recruit. Several would be absolute home runs.

1) Steve Lutz.- lutz was here before, under Doh/Orsini, but had no ability to operate freely. THat was a different era, He's highly regarded in industry,, been Creightons recruit coordinator from 5 years, has a stacked roster returning in Omaha, and 3 high major verbals, 2 top 100s, already committed in '17. He's a Texan, understands and knows everyone locally/regionally and wants to head coach in Texas. To do that, he needs to be in Texas.

2) Talvin Hester- currently on houstons bench, hester is a Dallas native that is known and liiked by AAU headmen, statewide. a slam dunk to deliver legit locals. Only setback is that he's boys w Ulric since forever.

3> TJ Johnson at Texas St is a young guy and ex AAU head. Has big Houston ties, by far the cheapest, but relates to young kids.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Staff Moves

Postby friarwolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:19 am

Hoop,

Who would you pick?
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am

If money isn't an object, Lutz

After that, I like the idea of hurting Coug U, so Hester
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:50 am

Hoop:

Are these three actually under consideration or are they just YOUR
ideas?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I was wondering when something was going to come out about the staff. I remember at some point last season KT was unhappy, and it may have been a disagreement with LB about what kid(s) to go after. Regardless, I really like KT and hoped he would stick around. Thanks for the info, hoop.

BTW, I'd love to see Hester come onboard.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

KT has done an excellent job recruiting for us...surprised bigger programs havent tried to snatch him up
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:35 pm

hoopmanx wrote:If money isn't an object, Lutz

Is Lutz actually interested in coming back without being bumped up to Associate Head Coach?
CalallenStang

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 am

CalallenStang wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:If money isn't an object, Lutz

Is Lutz actually interested in coming back without being bumped up to Associate Head Coach?

Hes smart enough to recognize that w/LB gone, we need a combo of teacher/recruiter in that 2nd chair. Im sure its not his favorite idea, but IF the money isnt too far off KT, he'd be down
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:19 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Hoop:

Are these three actually under consideration or are they just YOUR
ideas?

I don't have any idea who is under consideration, just know these 3 have made cursory contact w/Jank expressing interest.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cort » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 am

I want Steve Lutz back! that guy is great in the locker room, and a very good recruiter! He actually got some good classes under Doh.
Cort
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyscott » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Love Lutz as a candidate...he knows Texas. I would think he and Jenk would relate well.
ponyscott

Postby mustangxc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:26 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Ok, some contradictory info out there, but here's the skinny... Duncs is very well regarded by Jank, LB and Jay Wright. He's been offered a slew of bench positions over the past few years. his time is now for the Mustangs. Was pivotal in a non official role in getting Markus to SMU, same w Froling. He takes the 3rd chair.

KT is going to get the bump to Associate HC. His Dad was a coach and he's not just a sniper like Ulric even Snacks. Reserved guy, resposible for much of the roster. Jank is fairly reserved as well, so any addition needs to be outgoing, chock w personality.

This leaves Hobbie. Hobbie is a holdover from Dohs staff that hasn't scored one kid since becoming an assistant. Hes a good shot coach, his Dad was a skill training legend in NYC, got along w LB but zero productivity in terms of talent acquisition. Time for him to pack his bags. Not even sure he's worth the demotion, when you can move up Sean Stoudt.

Another incumbent is George Lynch. Lynch was a helluva college and NBA a guy, part of the Carolina family mentality that LB instilled at Crum. Was a Dallas AAU guy several years back, w very limited success. He's an experienced basketball guy, but a green recruiter. I'd not believe you can move both he and Duncs up. He either stays the course or the highway. He's a bad look in the 2nd chair, Imo

So, who makes sense for the 2nd chair and why. ,first, several candidates have reached out to Jank, offering their services, from schools big and small. Here are 3 candidates that can both coach a bit and recruit. Several would be absolute home runs.

1) Steve Lutz.- lutz was here before, under Doh/Orsini, but had no ability to operate freely. THat was a different era, He's highly regarded in industry,, been Creightons recruit coordinator from 5 years, has a stacked roster returning in Omaha, and 3 high major verbals, 2 top 100s, already committed in '17. He's a Texan, understands and knows everyone locally/regionally and wants to head coach in Texas. To do that, he needs to be in Texas.

2) Talvin Hester- currently on houstons bench, hester is a Dallas native that is known and liiked by AAU headmen, statewide. a slam dunk to deliver legit locals. Only setback is that he's boys w Ulric since forever.

3> TJ Johnson at Texas St is a young guy and ex AAU head. Has big Houston ties, by far the cheapest, but relates to young kids.

So where does Shawn Forrest rank?
mustangxc

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:19 pm

He's a name guy in DFW circles. Not as profile as Lutz or accomplished, but certainly has more skins than Hester or TJ. Had a great run at UNT under Johnny, but sorta flamed out at LSU in no time, and had to resign for personal reasons. All in all, we're a better staff
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:35 pm

I really think recruiter is where we have to invest, and although he seems fine I was hoping for a bigger pop.
gostangs

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:48 am

We were hiring for 2nd chair. A huge splash doesn't really exist
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball